Tire Recommendations Wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Man.. while I would normally say yeah, 275/60's, I would not - NOT - put them on a 15x6 wheel! They bulge a little already on 15x7's. If you want to run the 275/60's I would absolutely upgrade to minimum 7" wheels, if not 8" - they fit perfectly on 8"...some squarebody 8" Rally wheels for example.

It depends on if you want to go wider with a similar height tire, or a shorter height, or... ? What are you looking to achieve?

A 255/70/15 is a typical "slightly wider than stock" upgrade from a 235/75/15 while also only being slightly taller, but it's gonna be noticeably taller than a 225/75/15. Crank those numbers in the tire calculator and see what you think.

You can get that 255/70/15 in a BFGoodrich Radial T/A for $193/ea. A little cheaper in the Cooper Cobra GT at $171, but IMO not enough of a savings, I'd go with the BFG.. and I'd definitely skip the cheaper stuff that is all Chinesium and Korean.

Richard

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seconded the 275/60s. Looks muscular, speedo is accurate, better handling.
A coworker of mine has a '97 2wd Tahoe with 275s on OE 454SS look-alike polished alloys and I thought it was a great choice.
I bet that is a handsome Tahoe!

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man.. while I would normally say yeah, 275/60's, I would not - NOT - put them on a 15x6 wheel! They bulge a little already on 15x7's. If you want to run the 275/60's I would absolutely upgrade to minimum 7" wheels, if not 8" - they fit perfectly on 8"...some squarebody 8" Rally wheels for example.

It depends on if you want to go wider with a similar height tire, or a shorter height, or... ? What are you looking to achieve?

A 255/70/15 is a typical "slightly wider than stock" upgrade from a 235/75/15 while also only being slightly taller, but it's gonna be noticeably taller than a 225/75/15. Crank those numbers in the tire calculator and see what you think.

You can get that 255/70/15 in a BFGoodrich Radial T/A for $193/ea. A little cheaper in the Cooper Cobra GT at $171, but IMO not enough of a savings, I'd go with the BFG.. and I'd definitely skip the cheaper stuff that is all Chinesium and Korean.

Richard
I want to use my truck's original wheels which are six inches wide so I guess I need to stay with 225 or 235 tires. I could upgrade to a wider seven or eight-inch wheel but I have not budgeted for the upgraded wheels.

I want a tire that has a smooth ride and a good grip on wet roads. Off-road and snow capabilities are not needed.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my experience, my falken wildpeaks have better wet weather performance than my cooper cobras did. The coopers being marginally smoother and quieter. No complaints out of either one though. The research I’ve done shows that if you get a tire that’s “triple mountain peak” rated, you’ll get excellent wet weather performance.

With all of that said, I’ll be going with Hercules tires this next time lol

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From my experience, my falken wildpeaks have better wet weather performance than my cooper cobras did. The coopers being marginally smoother and quieter. No complaints out of either one though. The research I’ve done shows that if you get a tire that’s “triple mountain peak” rated, you’ll get excellent wet weather performance.

With all of that said, I’ll be going with Hercules tires this next time lol
Why Hercules tires?

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why Hercules tires?
My local tire shop carrys them, they are made by cooper in their Ohio plant , 85k mileage guarantee, free replacement up to 50% tread wear for manufacturer defects, and they are about $250 cheaper for the set compared to cooper cobras in the same 275/60-15 size. Reviews say they aren’t great on ice, but I live in Texas and don’t drive on ice lol

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My local tire shop carrys them, they are made by cooper in their Ohio plant , 85k mileage guarantee, free replacement up to 50% tread wear for manufacturer defects, and they are about $250 cheaper for the set compared to cooper cobras in the same 275/60-15 size. Reviews say they aren’t great on ice, but I live in Texas and don’t drive on ice lol
Do these come in 245/75-16 or 265/75-16? Good tires for reasonable prices, that are American made, sounds like a good thing for when my tripleXL metal kid needs new shoes....
I've had good service from the Cooper tires we got for the Burb several years ago, probably put 65-70K on them.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 225 was standard and 235 must have been optional. My truck has 15x6JJ wheels and your truck has 15x7JJ wheels. What was the original style wheel on your truck?
Yeah, no conscientious tire shop would mount 275s on a 6" rim. You can see the original rims in my signature...

Edited;
Here's what they looked like after a little polish and elbow grease...
You must be registered for see images attach

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do these come in 245/75-16 or 265/75-16? Good tires for reasonable prices, that are American made, sounds like a good thing for when my tripleXL metal kid needs new shoes....
I've had good service from the Cooper tires we got for the Burb several years ago, probably put 65-70K on them.
I just checked the 265/75-16 and see they have lots of options. Winter studded, commercial highway (cut and chip resistant) mud terrains, all terrains etc…

The shop sells an awful lot of them all while carrying most popular name brands.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score