Timing randomly drops 4-8 degrees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95 Tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What will cause the timing to randomly drop 4-6 degrees at idle? The distributor is new and I disconnected the knock sensor for a moment to see if it was related. It still did it. I plugged in a vac gauge and was watching it. I was only seeing .25-.5 inhg fluctuation. Not much. It's a 95 5.7L (TBI Engine)

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a plug you're supposed to undo when you check timing, but I forget where it is. Also, check your timing at 2000 rpm, not at idle. Inspect your distributor's guts to ensure they're clean and not crusted up with rust or metal filings. Inspect the magnet under the pickup to make sure it's not cracked. Look critically at the cap to ensure it's not cracked, doesn't have any carbon traces, and the terminals aren't crusty. If you have a known-good ignition module, swap it out and see if the problem goes away.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On a '95 the disconnect on the tan/black wire for timing bypass is usually in the loom of wires underneath the glovebox -

You must be registered for see images attach

Small block base timing spec is 0°, checked at idle, with a fully warmed up engine. Not at 2K - if you do so there's an advance curve built into the ignition module that will advance the timing. Erik, you must be thinking of checking cam retard on a Vortec, that reading is done while holding rpm's to at least 1K to get a good read.

With the tan/black wire disconnected the timing should not move around. Once it's hooked back up, the ignition module will take over and you will see an advance of around 8-12° and constantly fluctuating.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idle speed is controlled both by ISC and ignition timing because the timing will react faster than the ISC such as when the A/C kicks in or when you drop it in gear. Small variations in idle speed are controlled more by timing than ISC hence the reason you see the timing changing at idle.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idle speed is controlled both by ISC and ignition timing because the timing will react faster than the ISC such as when the A/C kicks in or when you drop it in gear. Small variations in idle speed are controlled more by timing than ISC hence the reason you see the timing changing at idle.
you know ISC and IAC are not the same things right?

only TBI i've seen with an ISC is on a 7.4L.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

only TBI i've seen with an ISC is on a 7.4L.
Really?
Too many acronyms to keep 'em all straight. IAC,ISC,throttle kicker. Pick one,they all do the same thing. Still the fact is ESC also plays a part in idle speed.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah TBI's idle speed is controlled by the ECM/PCM adding/subtracting IAC steps. SA may be changed if feedback makes the SA table move to a different MAP/RPM cell (more acronyms, LOL).