timing gears on tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
what are the woes of running a straight gear timing setup on a tbi truck, ive never had my knock sensor plugged in and i know they interfere with that and could retard the timing. any input would be great

xredge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm curious about it also as I have thought about it. The only answer I have came up with so far is that you can not have the knock sensor plugged in. And that in the Summit Catalog says you can not use it with computer controlled vehicles with a knock sensor. Not sure if there is any other reasons or not.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LMFAO you don't have your knock sensor plugged in? why? The knock sensor is not on the front, that is the cam sensor.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i have a rebuilt engine that was rebilt to a point of janky, i always had a connector broken off and when i pulled the engine i found out it was for the knock sensor. the knock is on the side of the block. if ive not ran one for over a year with no effect then what am i to lose if i dont run it with timing gears

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possible detonation, killing your engine, burning pistons up, etc, but sure go ahead.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gears are worse than a chain setup. Yes, gears are much stronger, but they transmit more vibrations to the cam. I would never use gears.
And use the knock sensor. Yes, you shouldn't need it. But if you ever do, you'll wish you had one.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i was speeking in relevance to the knock sensor. i drove my friends for a week and a half and it drove fine and i loved the whine, i also like when tires have road noise i may just be wierd though