Time for a new radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Thought I would update the thread. You guys were spot on. I did try tightening things here and there, but I finally caught the little sucker in the act. It is a tiny hole around the flange like had been suggested.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and tips. This is a great community.

You must be registered for see images attach

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Public service announcement...

Aftermarket vortec radiators usually include this spare port under the radiator fill. A dinky rubber cap is often provided, but this usually cracks and leaks after a month or so. So, heads up. Either look for one without the port (Delco sells them) or anticipate putting on a more durable cap.

What do y’all recommend for a new cap? Mine isn’t leaking just yet but I’d like to go ahead and make a more permanent one before it makes a mess.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup that looks very familiar! My other 99 got hit in the front, 6 weeks before the wreck that totalled it, busted up the grille but not much else, and the grille wasn't that bad. But the impact popped one of the seams a little bit.....so it leaked. Of course the insurance company didn't catch it, even though I told them about it when the adjuster looked at the truck. Probably even bad enough potholes will crack the plastic tanks eventually.

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last edited:

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was supposed to get a new upper rad hose today but Fed Ex. Now some time next week. Will install it when I replace the hose and post a pic. I should also probably check that 5/8 will work for me as I haven't yet ;)
FedEx...I have very fond memories of them. I was dumb enough to start tearing my front end apart a few months back with only half my parts because they were supposed to come in next day. They came four days late so a two day project turned into a whole week...

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So HPS may actually be creating a silicone hose set for our trucks. I inquired on one the other day and they basically said it is inline on the development list and will be in production soon. The factory GM cop cars used a very durable silicone hose set. Usually last the life of the car.

Keep us posted I'm interested..

Reaction score
Latest update. I ordered a new radiator to put in. I looked closely at the AC Delco replacement but people seem to be hit or miss on them. Considering I didn't like the plastic side tanks on the original radiator, I decided to try one of these ECP (Engineered Cooling Products) radiators. I liked that it was all metal and the spot that failed is now a welded flange.

First impression is it doesn't look too bad. We will see how it performs.

I will report back after I get it installed and a few miles on it.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks awesome. Let me know how it does... I wanna know 2 things lol. Does it produce more engine bay heat? How long does it last lol? If those are better then oem then I'm sold when mine blows lol