Through cab subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Hey all, its been awhile since ive posted but i bring you this question. I had 3 15s in my tahoe (yes it was too much), sold the tahoe awhile ago and one of the 15s is still sitting around. I still have my solid axled truck, its too big to serve any daily driver/utility function and I thought about bed mounting it which ultimately voids it useless, unless it had a pathway into the cab. I recall years back on the GMFS forums a guy with a name of Jayb!rd did 2 12s mounted onto his back panel and through the box. i feel this would be similar but more in terms with ported and aimed into the cab, somehow sealing it and so forth since Michigan elements could cause havoc rather quick.

Has anything like this been done, i have zero expertise with audio, ideas would be appreciated.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I did a pass thru on a S10 many years ago. I had four 12s boxed in the bed, and cut a nearly back window sized opening to connect the bed and cab. I used an accordian boot to seal the two together. It's the same they use when you put a bed cap on, and have the back window removed, so the bed is open to the cab.

Worked great, and hit hard. This is one of those kind of mods that once you do it, there's no going back. At times I regretted it, but it was my daily driver too.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
There's a lot more flex or opposing movement between the cab and the bed than you might realize.
That's the useful input I have. The rest is personal opinion that I will spare you from reading.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Souter is that you? haha I had a buddy in highschool who was sponsored and had a custom built S10. I have no idea what the details were or how he did it but he had everything professional built and all the subs were in the box that was cut out and into the cab. I think he had like 6 subs as big as available in the late 90's and they were mounted like this... \/\/\/ he had a laptop mount and all of his music was on it. he had some remote so he could operate it from outside the cab for competitions that actually may have just been the laptop itself.

I haven't seen him in years I wonder what hes up to nowadays. his family erected the steel for massive buildings. he was a pretty cool dude.

Al

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, a blow-though box into the cab for one spare 15" laying around is a bad idea. If you were purpose building an SPL system with multiple of them and a set goal in mind that's one thing, but I don't think I'd permanently modify a cab just to have something to do with my spare parts. If the truck is a junker that you don't see being around forever then sure, but I wouldn't do this to anything I cared about.

If you search SoundmanCA on YouTube and dig back a little through his videos he's got a dual 12" blow-through box ported into the cab of a newer F150. Should give you some ideas of what to and not to do. FYI, he sealed the whole box with multiple coats of Rhino Liner and it still cracked and swelled over time. IMO sub boxes aren't meant to stand up to the elements.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a semi blow thru in an old ranger I had. Did 4 10s in a bandpass setup and only the 4 6" ports came thru back cab wall. Only downfall of that is ur box better be dead on or ur not gonna sound worth a shift. Good part about a bandpass in the bed is you can completely seal it and it'll stand up to the great north elements, u know that is till u pop a sub or have to get in the box. If your gonna do it , might as well do a pair of 15s or more cause it's gonna be alot of work....nd 3 15s isn't too much! There is 3 in my extended cab k1500 nd I was thinking about going with 6 15s on 16k vs the 3 on 8k now lol.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO, a blow-though box into the cab for one spare 15" laying around is a bad idea. If you were purpose building an SPL system with multiple of them and a set goal in mind that's one thing, but I don't think I'd permanently modify a cab just to have something to do with my spare parts. If the truck is a junker that you don't see being around forever then sure, but I wouldn't do this to anything I cared about.

If you search SoundmanCA on YouTube and dig back a little through his videos he's got a dual 12" blow-through box ported into the cab of a newer F150. Should give you some ideas of what to and not to do. FYI, he sealed the whole box with multiple coats of Rhino Liner and it still cracked and swelled over time. IMO sub boxes aren't meant to stand up to the elements.
I'd use baltic birch, better strength but just as much density as mdf. U could leave it raw and it'll last 10x as long as mdf no matter what u put in it to seal it. I stained and sealed my box, then my wife painted a mural on the top and the whole thing got cleared again.....it's inside the cab but should last forever. It'll never come out tho, atleast not in one piece. Had to use a pole jack and slightly stretch the b pillars to slip it in and against back wall.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I'm a cabinet maker, I built my wife a Baltic Birch "marine glued" plywood outdoor kitchen. its beautiful and she loved it. It was cut on a cnc and I assembled it at our camp with Silicon, clamps and screws, then plugged everyone of them and sealed it all with like 8 coats of polyurethane. well camp sold after like 60 years ownership and we were all kicked out. I had to bring it home intact 8 feet long and unable to be taken apart.

I agree, baltic birch plywood is extremely durable, beautiful and not as expensive as one might think. It was cheaper than marine plywood.

its probably covered in snow right now out in the damn barn!!@!! but it will be fine.

Al