Back fire through intake when floored

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone had an experience like this before?
Wot throttle misfire is a classic, the distributor is a few teeth off symptom.Advance comes in and spark jumps the wrong cap terminal. Not an expert on scanners so not sure what if any assembly errors would show up through that method. A timing light won't tell you the distributor is out of phase either. If you're not 100% certain on the install might pay to revisit the dizz install. No amount of turning the the distributor back and forth in an effort to set timing is going to correct a phasing issue.

Last edited:

Connorpod

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I have a brand new distributor installed and it was acting the same way with the old one. I’ll definitely investigate the new dizzy. Would a deep clean of the tbi improve the situation?

Connorpod

Reaction score
Wot throttle misfire is a classic, the distributor is a few teeth off symptom.
My distributor was definitely rotated out a tooth. Just finished reinstalling in correct location and set timing to zero. Seems to be in a much better location (wires facing the back instead of aimed at driver side) However, the WOT misfire persists. Plugged in my timing light with the tan wire plugged in and my timing was jumping all over the place at idle. From 9-12 degrees. I just ordered a new pickup stator. I heard that can help.

Any other suggestions? Thanks everyone!