Tbi backfire through intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are a badass dude.
You are the very guy who keeps this **** going brother.
I think its awesome.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I never intended to do anything other than replace a leaky power steering hose and redo my grounds. But with no knowledge of all the things that went into making it right I began disassembling things I had never seen before except in pictures but things that were obviously in need of attention due to PO lack of maintenance. I then started educating myself so it would go back together and run.... had no idea the depth of info and technical minutiae rabbit holes that I would explore over the next few months. But I always feel confident in my work even when doing something I've never done thanks to my dad instilling in me the ability to not be afraid to try. But to get it together and scared to death to turn the key for a couple days, to hear it fire before the key was fully turned the first try had me on cloud 9....I did have a ratchet that was on the fan shroud fall and immediately switched it off because I swear it sounded like something flew apart.... BIG scare lol
Ok to answer your questions:
1) the injector drips can easily be seen with my one eye... not a steady stream but dang close I would guess 2-3 drips a second
2,3) all new and upgraded cables, positive and grounds, as well as many of the harnesses back to the point they tie into main harness.
All new gaskets on everything above the block
4) knock sensor-- pulled old one and tested as bad (though could have been error testing on my part), ordered new gm from Amazon and it came bad in package. Retested old one and checked out good so I reused it with a new pigtail. Yes hole was completely blocked wth crud so cleaned that up.
5) finally tested egr properly after having these troubles getting it back running and turns out it is a positive backpressure valve when my truck calls for negative backpressure valve... so that will be corrected after coolant leak is fixed today.
You are correct I have totally self seduced my mind over the course of this debacle and my weed man is happy at his increase in income
But I WILL NOT let it beat me and hopefully in the next day or 2 I'll post video of it in motion. I am running out of time to get gold without being overrun by hunters minding my business rather than their own so I gotta really hustle to make a decent income this year without having to get a job lol... looks like I may be learning how to gather ginseng for tax free profit this year or run off a shine recipe I've been wanting to try out.... lol....FTP
But thank you again for the encouragement and advice. I'm lacking in both right now... but I know you can't have a mountain top without a valley so I'm making that climb up...

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I never intended to do anything other than replace a leaky power steering hose and redo my grounds. But with no knowledge of all the things that went into making it right I began disassembling things I had never seen before except in pictures but things that were obviously in need of attention due to PO lack of maintenance. I then started educating myself so it would go back together and run.... had no idea the depth of info and technical minutiae rabbit holes that I would explore over the next few months. But I always feel confident in my work even when doing something I've never done thanks to my dad instilling in me the ability to not be afraid to try. But to get it together and scared to death to turn the key for a couple days, to hear it fire before the key was fully turned the first try had me on cloud 9....I did have a ratchet that was on the fan shroud fall and immediately switched it off because I swear it sounded like something flew apart.... BIG scare lol
1) the injector drips can easily be seen with my one eye... not a steady stream but dang close I would guess 2-3 drips a second
2,3) all new and upgraded cables, positive and grounds, as well as many of the harnesses back to the point they tie into main harness.
4) knock sensor-- pulled old one and tested as bad (though could have been error testing on my part), ordered new gm from Amazon and it came bad in package. Retested old one and checked out good so I reused it with a new pigtail. Yes hole was completely blocked wth crud so cleaned that up.
5) finally tested egr properly after having these troubles getting it back running and turns out it is a positive backpressure valve when my truck calls for negative backpressure valve... so that will be corrected after coolant leak is fixed today.
You are correct I have totally self seduced my mind over the course of this debacle and my weed man is happy at his increase in income
But I WILL NOT let it beat me and hopefully in the next day or 2 I'll post video of it in motion. I am running out of time to get gold without being overrun by hunters minding my business rather than their own so I gotta really hustle to make a decent income this year without having to get a job lol... looks like I may be learning how to gather ginseng for tax free profit this year or run off a shine recipe I've been wanting to try out.... lol....FTP
But thank you again for the encouragement and advice. I'm lacking in both right now... but I know you can't have a mountain top without a valley so I'm making that climb up...
One more side note..... the icm (039) that I picked from my treasure yard pile of course unbeknownst to me needed thermal paste. I searched thru 4 or 5 local parts stores with no luck (WTF i guess everybody uses dielectric grease which is the opposite of what you want and is my suspicion that may be cause for so many ICM failures, or at least a contributing factor).
So i had to decide if i wanted to wait the several days for shipping or concoct my own....
After some YouTube and Google self-certification was achieved, I took what I thought to be the most reliable info and scoured my wife and daughters make up arsenals, medicine cabinets, kitchen, laundry room and bathroom supplies, shop and enclosed trailer and junk car storage supplies and made my samples. With no technical testing procedure, no experience with even what the consistency should be, nothing more than my extremely far above today's average common sense to guide me, I made a choice and went with it.
My, for now, winner was a (no documented proportions) mixture of:
1) a little petroleum jelly (cocoa butter scent lol)
2) a little more sta-lube moly graphite assembly lube
3) some shavings from a sunblock stick that contains zinc oxide
4) a little metallic pigment (blue in color cause that was the first one I grabbed lol) used to do metallic epoxy floors and countertops
5) a few good shots of spray from a can of black magic dry lubricant (which by the way I coated the camshaft and all associated and touching parts with and let dry GOOD before any assembly lube was applied <just my way of thinking it may be insurance against destruction and hopefully couldn't hurt>)
6) a heaping helping of graphite powder from an estate sale purchase of various shop sundries (which I have found is THE PLACE to get tools and shop items for rock bottom prices, especially if you can come back on the final day and enjoy 50%or more off whatever is left)......
7) some powder from scraping a number 2 pencil "lead".... just for extra measure lol

I mixed it all together and with my no experience judgement in tow (or in the lead not sure which), looked upon it with smug satisfaction/apprehension and a prayer. Time will tell if it survives, but I feel confident it's a pretty fair sight better than dang dielectric grease....

Attachments

• 64ddce04e86d4659347191-DV_WebLarge_I_DA6331.jpg
    64ddce04e86d4659347191-DV_WebLarge_I_DA6331.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230826-114923_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230826-114923_Chrome.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 2

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got the injector part of the equation figured out at least.....
Upon closer inspection, it appears that the injectors I pulled are specific to a 4.3.....‍♂️♂️
At the time I pulled them, I had no idea there were any differences but I did at least look at the numbers and thought they were the same.... so today I cleaned a little better and lo and behold that 6 was actually a 3 ....
5235206 is for v8
5235203 is not
So I guess I'll be testing, possibly reverse flowing, and HOPEFULLY reusing what I had on there to begin with....I really can't afford a new set so it'll be back to the treasure yard with new knowledge if these don't do it....

Just thought I would put my experience wth these to maybe save somebody else the same trouble....

Hey RJ,

Your persistent TBI injector woes made me realize that I had a big hole in my knowledge base about these
things. (Then again, I haven't actually seen one in person since the previous century?) And back then,
they seemed to work well enough that I never really got a chance to troubleshoot them in anger.

Since I might someday find the same thing under the hood of a rust-free southern belle, why not see
what we can still dig up in 2023? So I've pulled together the following info. Hopefully it will
help you take your fix across the finish line. (And if nothing else, it can be a little repository for
this TBI info, for as the years pass this stuff is starting to fall off the edge of the internet table.)

First off, here's a nice chart covering the different TBI injectors that were made, arranged by
application / flow rate / color code / GM part #. This might be helpful the next you're at
the treasure yard:

NOTE: Both of the part numbers you referenced above are included in this chart.
You must be registered for see images attach

(Credit: Craig, one of those detail-oriented dudes over at the International Harvester parts website?)

OK, now that we can identify which TBI is before us, I wanted to get a view of the business end
in order to better understand the drooling? Here's a screen snap from a YouTube video:

Alright, now if we can find a nice cutaway diagram to get a better idea of how the internal parts interact?

Now it's starting to come into sharper focus. The design is supposed to be all (open) or
nothing. (closed) And with the miracle of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) this is how we control
the quantity of fuel delivered over time.

With full fuel pressure, the nozzle gives us a nice atomized spray pattern. And with the ball seated,
nada. But IF the interface between the ball & seat is dirty, a small, relatively low pressure stream
will dribble off the ball & right through the nozzle opening. (And the nozzle designer would tell you
that a non-sealing ball valve in this 'all on/all off' design is an *illegal* condition.)

NOTE: This is also why @Schurkey correctly said that the 'repair kit' (for
the external supporting structure) I referenced earlier wasn't going to fix the drooling issue. (!)

And in order to pull this all together, here's a 14-year-old YouTube video by a guy that
was testing/cleaning these old TBI injectors. (No nonsense 5 min vid showing bad vs good,
must-watch!)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Notice that he's using an ultrasonic parts cleaner to take care of business. Reading around,
some crafty guys were taking a low-tech approach & energizing the TBI solenoid & then
pumping carb cleaner (or equivalent) through the injector, some guys in both directions, and
were reporting success. To recap, at some point you need to regain positive control of the
fuel so that you aren't driving the computer nuts while it's trying to tune around the gross
error you showed us previously.

OK, now for the sudden 'no-idle' on it's own. Here's another cut-a-way diagram to help
us understand what the engineers put in place for a steady idle:

So it looks like when the throttle is closed, *all* the air is supplied by the IACV. (Idle Air Control
Valve.) The computer is going to be controlling this, but in addition to a good, clean IACV we
also need good wiring between it and the computer. Any possibility during all the recent surgery
that the wiring to this got bumped/disconnected/or the wire pulled apart inside the connector?

Given your symptoms, I'd put a lot of focus in this area until I could prove to myself that it's working
properly under computer control. And don't forget the document that @pressureangle shared
previously. (good stuff)

BIG PICTURE TIME

I think that you've mentioned that you have performed DC resistance and/or voltage checks on
these sensors, and while that is OK for a 1st-level 'Go/No-Go' troubleshooting pass, when you
connect up a scan tool & see the actual data streams that the computer is being fed is when it
all falls neatly into place. At the same time, you said that you weren't in a position to use a scan
tool, which I understand.

If that's the case, then our only strategy is to troubleshoot this like we would troubleshoot an old
Quadrajet. And when someone asked me to look at a similar rough-running 'drooling fuel' situation out of the
carb's primary venturis at idle, I knew immediately that the float was saturated with fuel & that we
needed to replace it/reset the float level. In your case, we gotta get your injector's ball valves all cleaned up.

To summarize, you need to do the following:

* Identify the TBI injectors that are now in circuit. And are they the flow rate that your computer
is expecting/calibrated for?
* Clean those injectors up until the dribbling fuel issue is resolved.
* Figure out why your Idle Air Control Valve circuit stopped working & fix that.

And then (assuming that the fuel is now completely under computer control & the engine will idle)
get it all dialed in so that you go get some of that gold! :)

Happy hunting! And I really like your attitude about seeing this through until it's fixed!

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Reliable local source for heat sink compound: any store dealing in computer parts.

Richard

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We are all born crapping and crying and being spoon fed friggen peas and carrots bud.
Nobody pops out wrench in hand.
At least I hope not.
Im pretty sure Mom would have told me about that.
Always remember that Niel Armstrong didnt now **** all about the moon when he was born.
Don Garlits didnt know **** all about drag racing when he was born.
I think that you are the type of person who will chase a problem untill you fix it no matter what it takes.
I also suspect that for every plan you have, when it goes wrong you already have a backup plan.
And a backup plan for that plan.
The whole juggling of **** while staying calm and reaching out for help is a rare attitude.
I dont know what plans you have for your future but you should look into a degree in construction project management.
Ive been in this industry forever and I think you could really have a great future.
When I started in this bis, I didnt know ****.
I got the job because I will chew on anything like a dog with a bone untill i figure it out.
Im pretty sure you do that to.
Take a good look at project management school or an internship with a general contractor.
That tenacious never giving up persuit of a goal is exactly who we we are trying to find.
Just stay away from residential construction.
Dont even think about it.
Full of thieves.
Find a way in the door of commercial construction and even though they will try like hell to beat you down your possibly adhd drive will win every time.
Most of the management people you meet on a jobsite are busy kissing ass and are so afriad of what might happen to them if they make a decission that they cant decide anything.
Pretty much a pack of Monday morning donut eating purse swinging old ladies.
They really dont understand how ******* grand and amazing thing it is to build a massive structure based on you and your company having the massive ******* balls to take it on.
I think you can do whatever in your life you want to do.
Nobody drops dead thinking " thank god I didnt do anything or go anywhere in my life"
I have worked with people who have never left pierce county wa.
I had two employees both about 26 years old born and raised in Tacoma Washington and had never been to Mt Rainier.
Its a 14,400 foot tall valcano and its a friggen 45 minute drive.
Rainier is the most massive feature of every day here.
They had never been to the mountain because their parents had never been to the mountain.
They were afraid of camping becuase thier parents tought them all about god knows what ugga bugga spooky **** that happens in the woods.
It aint the sasquatch, its the ******* bighting flies and mosquitoes.
I have over the years accidently got too close t a black bear and got really lucky that I didnt get shredded by an owl one night.
The only sasquatch I ever met was in Bremerton.
She was only married within the territorial waters of the united states and had a submergence exemption.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A word of caution; the TBI injectors only go in one way, there's an alignment pin which won't allow them to seat completely and cause dribbling.

As in @Road Trip photo

The 206 Injectors are rated 61Lb/HR @ 13PSI, they're rated at 55 @ ~10(.5)PSI. Even as high as 75.7Lb/Hr @ 20 PSI. Pressure is critical with these too. When/if you over pressure them, the bottom O-ring CAN distort and cause drips too. I've run them at 25 PSI before without dripping. HTH

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok gentlemen, I have gotten everything back together yet again and got her fired up. But I still have an issue, albeit different from the last.
I started it, ran at about 12-1500 rpm idle for several minutes then just cut straight off like the key was switched off... would crank back up but not stay running without constant throttle...
As it is now for the past week, it will start almost as soon as key is turned to start position..... idles 12-1500rpm until idle starts to come down and as soon as it comes down to 1000, cuts straight off..... sometimes will start back and run with throttle, sometimes I have to give it a shot of starting fluid to get it to fire again...
But here's the kicker, ONCE SHE'S WARMED UP, idle will stay between 550-600 rpm and she runs better and smoother and with more power than she has since I've owned her..... and usually will continue to start throught the day with no problems....
What would cause it to run rough, not idle, and cut off with no warning when cold, but clear up, idle properly, and operate perfectly fine when warned up?
This thing is about to drive me in the ground, if I don't drive it in the lake first.
SURELY I'm not the first to experience this exact issue. Any advice?

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are all born crapping and crying and being spoon fed friggen peas and carrots bud.
Nobody pops out wrench in hand.
At least I hope not.
Im pretty sure Mom would have told me about that.
Always remember that Niel Armstrong didnt now **** all about the moon when he was born.
Don Garlits didnt know **** all about drag racing when he was born.
I think that you are the type of person who will chase a problem untill you fix it no matter what it takes.
I also suspect that for every plan you have, when it goes wrong you already have a backup plan.
And a backup plan for that plan.
The whole juggling of **** while staying calm and reaching out for help is a rare attitude.
I dont know what plans you have for your future but you should look into a degree in construction project management.
Ive been in this industry forever and I think you could really have a great future.
When I started in this bis, I didnt know ****.
I got the job because I will chew on anything like a dog with a bone untill i figure it out.
Im pretty sure you do that to.
Take a good look at project management school or an internship with a general contractor.
That tenacious never giving up persuit of a goal is exactly who we we are trying to find.
Just stay away from residential construction.
Dont even think about it.
Full of thieves.
Find a way in the door of commercial construction and even though they will try like hell to beat you down your possibly adhd drive will win every time.
Most of the management people you meet on a jobsite are busy kissing ass and are so afriad of what might happen to them if they make a decission that they cant decide anything.
Pretty much a pack of Monday morning donut eating purse swinging old ladies.
They really dont understand how ******* grand and amazing thing it is to build a massive structure based on you and your company having the massive ******* balls to take it on.
I think you can do whatever in your life you want to do.
Nobody drops dead thinking " thank god I didnt do anything or go anywhere in my life"
I have worked with people who have never left pierce county wa.
I had two employees both about 26 years old born and raised in Tacoma Washington and had never been to Mt Rainier.
Its a 14,400 foot tall valcano and its a friggen 45 minute drive.
Rainier is the most massive feature of every day here.
They had never been to the mountain because their parents had never been to the mountain.
They were afraid of camping becuase thier parents tought them all about god knows what ugga bugga spooky **** that happens in the woods.
It aint the sasquatch, its the ******* bighting flies and mosquitoes.
I have over the years accidently got too close t a black bear and got really lucky that I didnt get shredded by an owl one night.
The only sasquatch I ever met was in Bremerton.
She was only married within the territorial waters of the united states and had a submergence exemption.
You are spot on with this advice, most of the time it is ourselves that hold us back. I was working in a sheet metal workshop making custom rainwater/ spouting goods when the company I was working for got the opportunity to quote to produce and install the copper domed roof for the Auckland War Memorial Museum. No one in the company had any idea how to go about it so I jumped in and said i will do it, after all it's just maths at the end of the day. We got the contract and I had to rapidly learn to read engineers drawings, how to use Excell spreadsheets and draw in 3D cad software. Then I had to hand make every panel as everyone is different. It was a massive learning curve but man what a ride and here is the finished product.