Backfiring after reassembling disttributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CEvans9740

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post on this site so let me know if this has already been discussed. So I put a vortec engine in my 1992 c1500 and got it running great. I took the dizzy cap off to do some work and now the truck will hardly run with the advance wire plugged in. Smells very rich and won’t take any throttle. Idles good with it unplugged but will backfire out of the exhaust when lightly revved. Put a used ignition module in and didn’t fix it. Base timing is about 12 deg BTDC because the motor makes very little power @ 0deg BTDC. Reset the computer and that didn’t help. I don’t have a scanner and there are no CEL codes when the A and B terminals are shorted. Every connector is plugged in and I’m at a loss, did I fry something because I didn’t unplug the battery when disconnecting things? Any help is much appreciated!
Edit: I should also mention that I'm still using the TBI. Also, I noticed that I could rotate the distributor rotor 360deg with the gear meshed with the cam, but for some reason didn't think anything of it at the time. I'll look at it when I get a chance.

Last edited:

CEvans9740

Reaction score
WHAT "work" did you do?
Yeah, sorry should have mentioned that. The oil sender was reading really low at hot idle, right above the red area on the dash. I was putting in the sender from the TBI engine to see if it would read higher because I know the engine has good oil pressure at cold idle, at least. Just one of those things that I don't like seeing is low oil pressure.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can rotate the rotor when the distributor is installed you have a problem. The rotor needs to turn in snyc with the cam to have spark occur at the correct timing. If the rotor is floating the timing can be inconsistant and I am surprised it will even run.

CEvans9740

Reaction score
I fixed it. The dizzy rotor broke somehow and I think it was misaligned from the pickup coil, causing the timing to be off. Replaced with a different dizzy and fired right up and ran nice again. I swear, aftermarket parts are absolute garbage if they're not ACDelco.
You must be registered for see images attach