reassembling 98 vortec engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am finally getting back around to reassembling my 98 engine.

This is my first enging build and it has been a while since I have worked on it.

Can anyone tell me what all mounts on the block itself. I dont want to forget anything.Is there only one knock sensor , and motor mounts?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as sides of the block yes, knock sensor is on the passenger side, threaded into the cooling jacket. Needs to be torqued for accurate operation.

The same hole on the opposite side of the block gets a plug.

Engine mount brackets.

I think that’s everything on the two sides of the block.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Block drain plug on the left side. I use brass, or a brass draincock.

Core plugs on each side, (use 242 "blue" Loctite thread locker for sealant) various plugs front and rear. Some front plugs are vented, but the replacement plug kit doesn't have vented plugs. They're solid, non-vented. A REALLY SMALL drill bit (about 0.032) fixes that.

DO NOT forget the threaded plug that would be on the rear of the block, china-wall area, partially covered by the left cylinder head. Head comes off to fix that mistake.

Oil pressure sensor often with an extension or tee near the distributor hole.

There's also a soft plug in the oil-filter passages, but the machine shop has probably replaced it already, assuming they removed it to begin with. Failure to have this plug in place means the oil filter does nothing--oil bypasses filter.

A 4WD vehicle will have a plate between block and engine mount bracket that the strut rod going down to the transmission attaches to.

Front of block--ahead of "fuel pump" boss--gets a bolt or two to seal what used to be motor-mount bolt holes back in '55--'57.

Two dowel pins on each head-gasket surface. Older engines get two dowel pins in the timing-cover surface, but I think Vortecs have those holes open and the timing cover has molded-plastic teats that go in those holes. Two dowel pins to align transmission at rear of block--but nobody ever takes them out, so they'll still be there.

Cam bearings, but most machine shops install them before they give the block back to the customer.

Last edited: