Three projects detailed in coming posts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been too busy to keep up here. I've completed 2 projects that I'll detail here later, and have a third coming.

- Fuse added to Alternator line in place of fusible link
- Windshield squirter hoses replaced with 4mm silicone hose

- Swap of complete grill assy and parking lights to blackout

Stay tuned and don't bust any knuckles.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- Fuse added to Alternator line in place of fusible link
That's a mistake.

Fuses--even so-called "slow-blow" fuses--are fairly quick-acting. That's what you want in some applications. It's NOT what's needed to protect an alternator, or the vehicle wire harness.

GM uses a fusible link (if they protect the alternator at all) because they're very slow to melt. A fusible link will accept a short-term overload of the sort that's unlikely to cause any damage, while still protecting against longer-term overloads, or severe overloads.

You'd do well to put the fusible link back in.

Remember, every time that fuse pops, you're risking a voltage spike that can kill the alternator diodes, and the integrated circuitry of the voltage regulator. You really do not want to open the alternator output circuit unless it's REALLY needed--which is why many vehicles don't have protection on that circuit at all.

I had to dick with the squirter hoses on my '88 K1500 last week--driver's side hose popped off, so almost no spray from passenger side, and none at all on the driver's side. Probably should have replaced those hoses. Kinda regretting just putting it back together now.