Thought's on this cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
The only industry that doesn't use Chinese and North Korean materials is Aerospace.

I work in aerospace industry . Specifically I machine hydraulic fitting . My shop sub contracts from Sikorsky . Who build helicopter for our nations military .
No one really uses material from china because we have guilde line here in the united states Ansi (American National Standards Institute) We have to comply with that standard. ISO SAE ect
Our material must comply with certain standards , reasons china can sell items cheaper there steal an aluminum have more of other metals in them .
I will tell you my shop is very professional . We even use Chinese tools and electronics there . China makes some of the world most sophisticated cnc machines. People make china out to be this third world country who hacks **** together . Thats not true ,CHina makes some of the world best products . Its the consumer who is to cheap to pay for a decent item.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I work in aerospace industry . Specifically I machine hydraulic fitting . My shop sub contracts from Sikorsky . Who build helicopter for our nations military .
No one really uses material from china because we have guilde line here in the united states Ansi (American National Standards Institute) We have to comply with that standard. ISO SAE ect
Our material must comply with certain standards , reasons china can sell items cheaper there steal an aluminum have more of other metals in them .
I will tell you my shop is very professional . We even use Chinese tools and electronics there . China makes some of the world most sophisticated cnc machines. People make china out to be this third world country who hacks **** together . Thats not true ,CHina makes some of the world best products . Its the consumer who is to cheap to pay for a decent item.

I'm a Quality Engineer, my previous job was with a Tier 1 aerospace supplier. We had to be DFAR compliant for all our suppliers. Basically, there is a list of countries who cannot supplier material to the aerospace industry, period. We rely on the IMDS system, and our own limited destructive testing to verify, but in aerospace, they won't even look at material that doesn't have a clear chain of custody back to the second it came out of the earth that does not run through a country on the DFAR list.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
I'm a Quality Engineer, my previous job was with a Tier 1 aerospace supplier. We had to be DFAR compliant for all our suppliers. Basically, there is a list of countries who cannot supplier material to the aerospace industry, period. We rely on the IMDS system, and our own limited destructive testing to verify, but in aerospace, they won't even look at material that doesn't have a clear chain of custody back to the second it came out of the earth that does not run through a country on the DFAR list.

I hate my QC department there sticklers ! lol
Our shops ISO9001 and ISO9000. As much as I dislike all the producers . I get it and agree with them. If not we have **** falling out the sky. People would be cutting corners suing inferior everything. This who our company uses . One of the largest metal suppliers in the USA. http://www.tkmna.com/tkmna/index.html there actually partners with onlinemetals.com also. Happens to be a huge online company.
Not saying any ones lying I find it hard to believe that a company like comps cutting corners using materials from Asia.
But let me ask this if I move to china with my machines make the same parts I do is my product automatically lesser than . Thats what most people think.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Our shops ISO9001 and ISO9000. As much as I dislike all the producers . I get it and agree with them. If not we have **** falling out the sky. People would be cutting corners suing inferior everything. This who our company uses . One of the largest metal suppliers in the USA. http://www.tkmna.com/tkmna/index.html there actually partners with onlinemetals.com also. Happens to be a huge online company.
Not saying any ones lying I find it hard to believe that a company like comps cutting corners using materials from Asia.
But let me ask this if I move to china with my machines make the same parts I do is my product automatically lesser than . Thats what most people think.

My previous shop was AS9100 on top of the two you mentioned, my current shop is TS16949.

The reason I gave up my Journeyman's card and went into Quality is because it's easy lol. It's in or it's out. Oh, it's out .0005? It's out then lol.

When any shop receives material, it comes with a certification. That it is, what it claims to be. For Aerospace, countries that are mildly hostile to us, such as China, we simply cannot accept material from them. They could well intentionally sell us flawed material, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out we do the same lol.

The only issue's I have with thing's made in China, or Taiwan, or whatever, is that often times the same thing is made here, by a guy like you and me. If cost is close, I prefer American made, simply to allow that guy to feed his family too. Xiu Hu is on his own.

The other side of the coin, is quality control is non-existent in China. They deal in volume, not quality. They pump out so much so fast that the per unit price stays low, and if you get a bad one, just get another one, it was only .89 anyway...

This is why in the auto industry, you see alot of base component's sourced from China, then Q.C'd and assembled here, or in the case of Comp, cores sourced there and ground here. And when I worked at Engine Power Component's, alot of those cores for the Comp line DID come from China. Not all did though, but most did. They grind them here, because those guy's over there don't understand .0005 out is out, they pass .012 OOT, close enough for China lol.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
The only issue's I have with thing's made in China, or Taiwan, or whatever, is that often times the same thing is made here, by a guy like you and me. If cost is close, I prefer American made, simply to allow that guy to feed his family too. Xiu Hu is on his own.

The other side of the coin, is quality control is non-existent in China. They deal in volume, not quality. They pump out so much so fast that the per unit price stays low, and if you get a bad one, just get another one, it was only .89 anyway...

I agree , but sometimes I cant afford USA they price them selfs out of my bank. SO do I go with out or take a knock off . At the end of the day I care about me. Some usa company's are just plain out greedy.
Also why is it acceptable when company's like summit and jegs do it. And they do it the most. Look at there product line its a blatant knock off of the same item they sell for others. And why not they can R&D right from the parts people send them there to sell. You read my thread , the new starter I purchased is a direct one to one( besides logo) of the same one CSE makes.
SO is it ok just because these are american company's? Ive never heard any one make a stink over American company's copy other American company's parts.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
And BTW Comp uses american made materials .
straight from there mouth.
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threads/cam-core-material.22259/
Comp Cams uses various materials to make camshafts depending on what is best for that individual engine and application. We use a wide array of materials due to the fact that we cover a very wide variety of engines. Austempered cam cores are not used in LS applications nor have they ever been by our company. Our LS cams are made predominantly from 5160 or 8620 material. Either the 5160 or 8620 material is more than capable of handling any Hyd. Roller LS application. The difference in materials used has no effect on quality control what so ever and I am not sure what would lead you, or anyone else, to believe that it would. Also all of our cores are produced in the US and come from 1 of 2 sources. These are the same sources that sell cam cores to most every cam manufacturer out there, including the OE manufacturers. I can assure you that no “cheap” or overseas core is ever used in a Comp Cams product. When grinding a camshaft the core specifications must be as close as possible to the finished cam grind specs in order to maintain the deepest possible heat treat. That is why Comp has the largest selection of cam cores in the industry.

Comp maintains some of the highest quality control standards of any camshaft manufacturer in the world. Our cam grinds will be closer to the specs on your card versus any other grinder. We see less than 1% defect rates in our LS cams, which is lower than any other manufacturer that I am aware of. Also there has been no consistent heat treat issue of any type that I am aware of. This is not to say there has never been individual issues, but nothing that has been a continual issue. While it is certainly true that we are not perfect and we do encounter the occasional issue with one of our parts, we do try very hard to ensure that problems are very minimal and we have kept it at a level of less than 1% regarding LS camshafts.

Tolerances for our cams are:
Lobe Separation: +/- 1 degree
Advance: +/- 2 degrees if specified
Duration @.050: +2.5/-1.0 degrees
Lobe Lift: +.003/-.004

We do care about our customers and their projects because we rely on them for our livelihood. We strive to make the best performing and the longest lasting product possible. No company is perfect, but we do try. Also, if a customer has a problem with a product we do everything we can to help fix it.

I would also like to direct you toward a press release put out by Driven Engine Oil. It highlights the importance of proper engine oil especially in LS engines.
Driven Press Release
http://www.autopressreleases.com/view-release.php?id=1324.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I once had a Ebay distributor and an MSD, they were the same, MSD just put a sleeve on the box lol.

I buy foreign stuff, i have an Amazon billet Vortec distributor. 60 bucks vs 200 for plastic, a no brainer. 12 dollars for Harbor Freight sockets vs 60-70 for Snap On.

I'm buying a RZR soon, and I can buy one from a local guy for 15,500, or one from Tennessee for 12,800. I'd love to support that local guy, but he has to support me lol.

I don't care where anyone shops, whatever's clever lol.

Diminus

Reaction score
I work in the iron ore mining industry particularly a very large mining company owns our mine and concentrator and palletizing plant. We are iso9001 I believe and when I'm not monitoring the grinding Mills I'm the sampler running all over the plant collecting samples and bringing them back to the lab every hour for testing. If we're out .01 % off spec for more then a hour we gotta do splitter changes and water changes or have the Mag plant attendant inspect his or her equipment.its a real pain but even that 1% extra silica in the iron ore concentrate can ruin and entire batch of steel a producer may be making. Industry is crap now though China got a hard on for steel and overproduced which just flooded the hell out of the market.

Last edited: