Thought's on this cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
While the lift may be close, tt's actually quite a bit bigger by duration than the stock cam. Stock grind specs at 191/196 duration at 0.050" and around .410/.440 valve lift. That cam is bigger than any of the stock LT1 cams, and the ramjet/marine cam. It's almost as big as the ZZ4 cam, which is 208/221 duration. The Extreme 4x4 cams have the steepest lobe ramps that Comp grinds into hydraulic roller camshafts. I'd stay away if this is for daily driver duty and aimed at longevity.

Tell me more about what you're trying to do and what you're trying not to do with this engine.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Before snow flies, I'm going to be doing the MPFI upgrade. The truck is my work truck, trailer hauler, etc.

Not a race truck, not a show truck, a functional truck. I just want a boost in midrange to help it hold gear better at 60-65 mph.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before snow flies, I'm going to be doing the MPFI upgrade. The truck is my work truck, trailer hauler, etc.

Not a race truck, not a show truck, a functional truck. I just want a boost in midrange to help it hold gear better at 60-65 mph.

Just throwing this out there... You can accomplish exactly what you're talking about with just a tune. Comparing my tuned PCM with the factory one, the tuned one makes the truck hold gears MUCH better over hilly terrain, etc. Didn't ask for that, but certainly notice it.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there... You can accomplish exactly what you're talking about with just a tune. Comparing my tuned PCM with the factory one, the tuned one makes the truck hold gears MUCH better over hilly terrain, etc. Didn't ask for that, but certainly notice it.

I have a 411 ecm to swap in sooner than the rest, so hopefully it does make a noticeable difference as well.

Right now I'm still working through the bug's from it being a neglected plow truck, but since I see the light at the end, I figured I better get my poop in a group for the rest.

The way it runs right now, it couldn't haul anything. But I have to believe it ran much much better when new and in good shape.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Keeping an eye on this thread seeing as how it's along the lines of what I'm going to be doing with my Suburban, it'll be my DD and occasional tow rig if need be; Just want to see if there's anything that would be a good idea,
This is what I've got planned so far; 395 Cam, Alex's Spring Kit (allows the heads to be able to reach a higher lift), 1.6 Scorpion rockers, MPFI fuel conversion, 411 and a tune, as well as exhaust work.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Keeping an eye on this thread seeing as how it's along the lines of what I'm going to be doing with my Suburban, it'll be my DD and occasional tow rig if need be; Just want to see if there's anything that would be a good idea,
This is what I've got planned so far; 395 Cam, Alex's Spring Kit (allows the heads to be able to reach a higher lift), 1.6 Scorpion rockers, MPFI fuel conversion, 411 and a tune, as well as exhaust work.

That's pretty much what I was looking at except the cam. Cam choice, to me is critical, as I am not interested in moving the powerband up at all.

Actual dyno information is kind of sparse on these, and even more so when you start talking about building a usable "RV" type engine.