thinking motor swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bartlett

Reaction score
Thinking about a 454 swap in my
90 rcsb 4x4. Got the 5.7 in it now.
What are the pro's and con's of the swap?
ease of instalation and what tranny should I use?
Would like overdrive but don't really know about the wiring
For a 4l80e. Could a 700r4 4x4 be built to handle the torque?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I am not understanding what you really want to do: you haven't mentioned it, but it sounds like you want to ditch the fuel injection and go with a carb. A 700R4 / 4L60E with standalone computer will not live long behind a healthy big block if you abuse it.

Any way you look at it, it's a ton of work. Is this a toy, or something you drive often? IMO, you would be farther ahead to find a BB equipped K2500 and buy it and be happy. Moving forward in time is also a good thing, if you find a 1997 / 1998 that would be my suggestion.

Even moving to a 96+ Vortec 5.0 / 5.7 would be nice bump in power compared to a most likely tired TBI with a flat tappet.

bartlett

Reaction score
Not wanting to ditch the fuel injection.
Wanting to swap in a tbi 454. I know a 700r4 isn't the
Best choice but I'd like the overdrive the cheapest
Way possible as money for my truck is tight.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You can spend $ 2K rebuilding a 700/4l60 and it still won't be as good as a 4L80 in stock form, that being said, you would be money ahead to buy the truck you want.

Even if you end up finding a lower mileage TBI 454 as a complete truck, it's a lot of work. Lots of small odds and ends when you do the swap will eat up a lot of cash.