Things to do while engine is out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd definitely clean and regasket the oil filter adapter. I imagine your oil cooler lines are probably good and nasty too.

My oil cooler lines have already been removed. PO probably removed them to get a couple psi bump in oil pressure like I did years ago on an old 2500 I had.

Do NOT reuse the oil cooler!!! If you have a rod knock, you have spun a bearing; and there will be metal flakes in your oil. Absolutely do not reuse any of the oil cooler parts! (You can reuse the brackets) That oil cooler has metal in it and when you install the “new” engine you will introduce the metal from the old engine to the new engine. I just had a replacement engine come into the machine shop I work at, that didn’t have the oil cooler replaced and it trashed the engine to the point where it couldn’t be rebuilt.

My lines are off but that is a really good point! I hadn't even thought of that.