The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al_Bundy

Reaction score
I always do the back first, just in case I need to trim the coils in the front to get the right stance
That makes sense. Coincidentally I was planning on doing the back first anyway do to how intensive it seems.
@Al_Bundy
I don't disagree in theory, but it depends on how comfortable you are with this type of work imo. If you're used to typing on a keyboard it could take you double that.
Noted. While I'm pretty comfortable around the toolbox it's always good to hear a realistic estimate from someone that went through this before. I've put aside two days with a workspace in the shade to knock this out. Hopefully with wont be a 20 hours ordeal hah.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. Coincidentally I was planning on doing the back first anyway do to how intensive it seems.

Noted. While I'm pretty comfortable around the toolbox it's always good to hear a realistic estimate from someone that went through this before. I've put aside two days with a workspace in the shade to knock this out. Hopefully with wont be a 20 hours ordeal hah.
Using a sawzall and grinder for the notch is the hardest part, and the most time consuming.
Then there is always that one mother f@#$in bolt that should take 30 seconds but takes 2 hours....

Lazybones

Reaction score
Question for guys with arear axle flip with a 6" drop.
I am down to the bare fame (spring and shock brackets gone) on my '93 stepside and it will be sandblasted and primed later this week. I would like to start on a 4 link and coil overs for my rear suspension and I would like a 6" drop. To set up the 4 link correctly I need to know the normal running position of the axle in relation to the frame after the axle flip. I threw away my leaf springs so I can't do the flip, make the measurement, remove the leaf springs and set up my 4 link. Can anyone send me the measurement from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame on a flipped truck. I bekieve there will be some variation due to spring sag. Yes, I know I will have to notch the frame. I don't want the measurement from the top of the axle to the bottom of your notch as some notches are deeper than others.
Thanks for any help.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone used western chassis products?

They offer a front hanger that is adjustable?

Would be perfect for me 2" rear drop shackle and a 1" front hanger makinga 3 inch drop.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Anyone used western chassis products?

They offer a front hanger that is adjustable?

Would be perfect for me 2" rear drop shackle and a 1" front hanger makinga 3 inch drop.
There are quite a few members here that have W/C lowering stuff on their trucks.
Not me, though.
I've never heard of any of the major suspension Co.'s offering an adjustable front hangar.
1/2t SUV hangars, because of the frame diff, will provide 3/4" more drop than a set of 2" drop hangars. IIRC, the bolt pattern is slightly different so they require some holes drilled in the frame to mount 'em.
BUT...just using the SUV hangars with stock shackles WILL mess with your pinion angle, so be prepared to add some wedges & longer-headed leaf spring centering bolts to get that pinion angle back into spec.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are quite a few members here that have W/C lowering stuff on their trucks.
Not me, though.
I've never heard of any of the major suspension Co.'s offering an adjustable front hangar.
1/2t SUV hangars, because of the frame diff, will provide 3/4" more drop than a set of 2" drop hangars. IIRC, the bolt pattern is slightly different so they require some holes drilled in the frame to mount 'em.
BUT...just using the SUV hangars with stock shackles WILL mess with your pinion angle, so be prepared to add some wedges & longer-headed leaf spring centering bolts to get that pinion angle back into spec.

That's what I was thinking, really no way to adjust front hangers.

I'm currently building my own poor man drop for the rear and gonna cut the front springs lol.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm also gonna do a 1/2 for now, and while i put money into other aspects of the truck i will eventually do front hangers for 2" rear, 2" drop spindles and get a good quality set of shocks.