The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertcarnage

Reaction score
yeah mine is a 3/4 ton. i figured the rear would be fine but i'd better ask about the front first.

this forum is cool, you guys have been pretty damn helpful.

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here is my dumb question....

i want to ghetto lower my truck as in like cutting coils and flipping the rear axle my question is how much of a drop would i expect in the rear by flipping the axle and how much off the front coild will i have to cut to get it to look right

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A flip will get you 6". I think 1 1/2 or 2 coils will get you the 4" you'd need to match it.

is that with a flip kit or just flipping the axle on top of the leafs cause i dont want to spend the money on a kit

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah a flip kit gives you 6 in. of drop in the back, but most also come with c-notch's.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is that with a flip kit or just flipping the axle on top of the leafs cause i dont want to spend the money on a kit

I know you're going ghetto, but it's the same principal. You're still going to move the axle centerline up about the same amount, no matter how you go about it.

Yeah a flip kit gives you 6 in. of drop in the back, but most also come with c-notch's.

He's not buying a pre-made kit, though.

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that answers my question if i have to ill find some plate steel and notch the frame myslef

ive heard mixed things about cutting coils as well any thoughts? ive always thought it would be ok

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know you're going ghetto, but it's the same principal. You're still going to move the axle centerline up about the same amount, no matter how you go about it.

He's not buying a pre-made kit, though.
Yeah that's what I figured.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive heard mixed things about cutting coils as well any thoughts? ive always thought it would be ok

I don't advocate it, but it's way better than heated coils. My issue is that the stock springs are already too soft for my tastes. You cut out some of the coils and then you'll still have soft springs that will bottom sooner. I just prefer the stiffer ride with my lower height.

I cut some coils on an old '87 Caprice I had, but they weren't stock coils. They were cop car coils that were stiffer and taller. I cut them down enough to give me a 2" drop from stock and still had a firmer ride from them. But plenty of people have cut stock coils and been happy with the results.

Also, the more I think about it, 1 coil might be all you need for the right drop. As much of a pain as it sounds, you might just cut a half coil out and then loosely put the suspension back together and wheels on enough so you can set it on the ground and see where it gets you. If that's not enough, pull it out and cut another half coil. It may be a bit of extra work, but it'd be better than cutting off too much and kicking yourself in the ass for it.

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the advise i will def take the time to cut a little and then try and cut a little more its worth it to me thanks guys for the help