The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Lowered and Bagged Suspension' started by Mike, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Moparmat2000

Moparmat2000 I'm Awesome

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. The KYB GR2s work great on a budget even better they were from rockauto, and had a $25 rebate. They dampen everything with just a hint of stiffness. Exactly what i was looking for. Bilsteins might have been a little better, but i am on a married w 3 kids budget. The bell tech upper rear shock relocators, and evilbay lower rear extenders do a lot to smooth out the ride as well. I hope my replies, suggestions, and pix of my install help others out who are going to do this install.

Matt

2. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben OBS Enthusiast

Really liked your install on these. Never thought to use a single bolt with a pipe spacer. Much cleaner and probably easier.

Moparmat2000 likes this.
  3. Moparmat2000

Moparmat2000 I'm Awesome

It was much easier.

4. Tiny Trucker

Tiny Trucker I'm Awesome

Were you not happy with the Belltechs? What drop are you? I would imagine the Bilsteins being firmer.

5. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben OBS Enthusiast

2E2E04A0-4CE9-412A-BE02-1B5BDB19029F.jpeg
    The ride felt rough in the back. Had a real “clunk” over bigger bumps. Turns out I needed to notch out a box support, as it was making contact after the suspension compressed a couple inches.

2/4 drop. I think the beltechs will be fine now.

Tiny Trucker likes this.
  6. Moparmat2000

Moparmat2000 I'm Awesome

Ended up notching mine for the rear leafs on my 2-4 drop, and notching for the RH upper shock mount relocator.

20181103_154832.jpg

7. RoJo2

RoJo2 Newbie

After reading through the 107 pages of this thread lots of good stuff but no mention of the BellTech 2-3” drop springs with the top spacer. Using the spacer gets you to 2” of drop vs 3” without it. Mine are squeaking like hell everytime I hit a bump or make a turn... anyone else having this issue?

Side bar, when I installed the springs and BT 2” spindles up front on my 98 RCSB, I had to trim the LCA and grind the turn stop on the back side of the spindle in order to get my turn radius back. Unloaded, I was only able to get about 1.25 turns before the stop on the LCA and the stop on the spindle made contact. Once I ground the turn stop... I got a little better than 1.5 turns lock to lock. I may grind a little more once I go to bigger wheels if it’s still and issue. For the record, it would be much much easier to mark the spindles and grind those stops with them off the truck. I should probably trim more off my LCA because with the suspension loaded, I’ve lost some of that turn radius again but I don’t plan to run 15s forever.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  8. jade valov

jade valov Newbie

i’m the process of lowering my 4 door tahoe and this crossmember is right in the way, not letting my drive shaft move up enough. it needs to be notched. the awkward shape of the crossmember stumps me on how to notch it as high to the floor as possible while keeping most of the strength. anyone dropped a 4 door hoe or know anyone? or just have any ideas on what kind of notch to do here? thanks 8F463406-3BA8-48E2-9340-FD01E49A2E11.jpeg

9. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 Newbie

I ran into the same thing with mine with the DJM flip kit. It just barely contacts on bigger hits and I haven't actually done much about it yet, though I have much stiffer leaves than stock so low risk for the moment. I also don't see a good way of dealing with it just cutting material out, so I will probably end up breaking out the welder to really make it right.

jade valov likes this.
  10. TC Cunha

TC Cunha Newbie

Hey fellas, Noob to the lowered GMT400 scene... I have searched and searched to find out the answer to this question... How can i tell how low this truck is? I just picked it up and the original owner is no longer with us... No one knows the true background, but looking under her, in the rear she has a mini C-notch. two blocks worth of "lowering" re-located spring hangers and "helper bags" for towing... No big issue there so I'm happy with the rear...

it's up front that has me worried.. Not sure of the drop, but she has B/T Nitro drop shocks on all four corners, but the front LCAs are riding on the bumpstops.. ERgo, no front end travel AT ALL..

So the question is how can i "reset" the front end? Buy new springs and shocks to bring her up a bit? If so, what would be a good start? 3" drop and new shocks? HELP!?
    [​IMG][​IMG]