The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
just crank the factory bars, leave the body lift alone. there is no proper 2-3" suspension lift. just crank the stock keys. if your stock keys dont get you there your bars are so past their prime aftermarket keys arent going to help long term. if theres a block in the rear causing the rake lower it. you cant really have rake with a body lift unless someone did something very wrong however the added stress and less area for the body to sit on could have worn a mount out or something. without a picture im not sure what excessive rake is due to.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, I checked today, and I guess my tbars are worn out. I cranked my bars to the stops, which was only two turns, and it made no difference. The angels are all still like stock.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this is random, but if I got the rough country 6 inch lift, does it come with everything I need? Also someone told me I needed to re gear the truck on a six inch lift. True?

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is random, but if I got the rough country 6 inch lift, does it come with everything I need? Also someone told me I needed to re gear the truck on a six inch lift. True?
The Rough Country kit should have everything you need including shocks. The kit doesn’t mean you need to re gear it, it’s the bigger tires that get put on after you lift it. The tire size and what you use the truck for (along with a few other things), will determine what gears you should use.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm still looking at kits. RCX looks good, but I've heard negative experience with it. The superlift is really over my budget. I to nd one from zone off road. Is it any good? Are there any other brands? If I have to re gear, I may not lift it. With a three inch body lift, what size tires could I run? Would I still have to re gear with bigger tires and no lift?

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just finished reading all 121 pages of this thread.:sleepy: I am now more knowledgeable and more confused than I have ever been on lifts. Lol

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i personally do not like rcx. its not a true 6" drop. i also dont like their steering setup as well as their use of blocks, but everyone uses blocks, it just isnt correct. plus their salesmanship that caters to half assed 3" keys and upper controls arms on these trucks cases lends me to like them even less.

true leaf or a shackle flip in back would be best but theres some dependency on usage of truck. blocks taper the rear end toward the output of the trans so you dont need to lengthen driveshaft, this also however puts the u joints out of sync which without going into heavy detail isnt correct at all. most people are oblivious to it being an issue.

do you need to regear with a lift? well most times you add a lift you add a bigger tire, on a half ton heat is the enemy of your trans, more lift + bigger tire means more excelerated wear on your trans, the regearing is primarily for the addition of the larger tire. you could run the stock 265s on a 6" lift and it wouldnt require it although it would look goofy. google Grimjeeper calculator and it may be a good reference point for you to figure out final drive ratio when adding and changing things such as tire size.

back to lifts. RCs is a 5.25 drop and at stock bar height is around 4" their same kit for the 6" comes with keys or some crap for your instance where the bars are so heavily worn you can crank it back. the problem with keys on already worn bars is once sprung steel is past a certain point of deforming its will just excelerate its wear even faster so those bars are junk. step 1 would be replace your torsoin bars if you plan to do things correctly. If not be like the other 90%, and be numb to it not being correct, seems to work for alot of people or so you see on the internet.

zone is essentially a BDS lift, or was, its been awhile since ive looked at current market lifts. Superlift wasnt bad, their old kits had alot of pieces were kinda jank. theres fabtech which is a knuckle lift, i think full throttle is still around, procomp is still kicking. 10+ years ago there was a half dozen other brands around.

body lift wouldnt mess up anything but linkages, replacing your worn torsoin bars would be a good starting point in general. usually you need to source from the junkyard, sway away used to sell them but they were expensive. there is some interchange with newer trucks from what i recall but do some research, theres different rates that will affect ride and so forth.

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid Question: Can I put C1500 rear leaf springs on my 92 C2500 without any big hassle or is there more to it than just a bolt on each end of the leaf spring? I am trying to smooth out the ride for my bad lower back problems.