The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything haha, like I am pretty sure when I look at the parts I know where I pulled them, but some in different orders, just wondering if anyone had a diagram or schematic of an exploded view of the interior

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
When I install an interior, I use the same procedure as the factory.
Generic instructions. In order.
1. Floor - Sound deadener, then underlay (if seperate from carpets) carpets. *Tip* Install all the bolts in the floor for the seat belts, & seats. This will help to align the carpet, if using the original. If new carpets are being installed, this will end any frustration of trying to find the holes for the bolts in the new carpets. Mark the center of the carpet, first. Start the install from the center out to the edges, doing one side at a time, folding it back over the other side to apply the glue.
Install door sill plates. Install kick panels.
2. Headliner. This will be held in place by the visors, velcro on front edges, & the dome light. O/H console, if applicable.
3. Components on back wall, starting from the bottom up. Carpet, amps, etc.
4. Back corner plastic pieces.
5. Plastic trim over the doors & 'A' pillars. (See what's happening here? Start at the back bottom working up & forward to the top front.)
6. Place seat belts in rear seat, then install seat. This saves any frustration of trying to get the seat belts in after the seat's installed.
7a. Install console, if applicable. (buckets)
8a. Install front seat belts. (buckets)

9. Install buckets. Slide the tracks all the way to the back. (seat forward, in the truck.) Install rear bolts, slide seat back, install front bolts.
---------------
7b. Install seat belts in front seat. (bench)
8b. Install front bench, bolt down seat belts.
---------------
10. Install door panels.

Like I said, this is a generic procedure that I follow when doing interiors in any vehicle, custom fabbed, or stock.
Let me know if you hit any roadblocks. I'll try to help as best I can.

kyotey1693

Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up an 89 and I really cant stand the wrap around or circle gauges. (I'm not sure what they are called). I would like to swap the whole cluster out for a new set like a 94 that has the needles and a tach. Is this possible? Is it plug and play? Does the truck already have a tach signal in the cab or will I need to run one from the coil?

I would appreciate any advice you have.

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I install an interior, I use the same procedure as the factory.
Generic instructions. In order.
1. Floor - Sound deadener, then underlay (if seperate from carpets) carpets. *Tip* Install all the bolts in the floor for the seat belts, & seats. This will help to align the carpet, if using the original. If new carpets are being installed, this will end any frustration of trying to find the holes for the bolts in the new carpets. Mark the center of the carpet, first. Start the install from the center out to the edges, doing one side at a time, folding it back over the other side to apply the glue.
Install door sill plates. Install kick panels.
2. Headliner. This will be held in place by the visors, velcro on front edges, & the dome light. O/H console, if applicable.
3. Components on back wall, starting from the bottom up. Carpet, amps, etc.
4. Back corner plastic pieces.
5. Plastic trim over the doors & 'A' pillars. (See what's happening here? Start at the back bottom working up & forward to the top front.)
6. Place seat belts in rear seat, then install seat. This saves any frustration of trying to get the seat belts in after the seat's installed.
7a. Install console, if applicable. (buckets)
8a. Install front seat belts. (buckets)

9. Install buckets. Slide the tracks all the way to the back. (seat forward, in the truck.) Install rear bolts, slide seat back, install front bolts.
---------------
7b. Install seat belts in front seat. (bench)
8b. Install front bench, bolt down seat belts.
---------------
10. Install door panels.

Like I said, this is a generic procedure that I follow when doing interiors in any vehicle, custom fabbed, or stock.
Let me know if you hit any roadblocks. I'll try to help as best I can.

Thanks man, ill post if i hit any snags, also thanks Paul, I may hit you up when doing the DIC install, but i hope that goes as planned also.

Casey

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No problem!
On a vehicle that I'm familiar with, I usually can get away with using a plastic container for the nuts & bolts, & screws.
For a vehicle that I'm not familiar with, like the 1937 Lincoln I'm working on now, I bag-n-tag everything! Lots of detail pix, before I remove anything, & pix as a I go along tearing down the interior.
Even if a bag has just one screw, it gets a pic taken, detailed written description, &/or a diagram of where it goes. It makes for longer tear-down times, but the savings in time & frustration when it comes to putting it all back together more than makes up for the initial time invested at the beginning.

Posted this before, but in my first shop, so many years ago, I had a sign that posted that went like this...

Shop Rates.
$50.00/hr.
$65.00/hr. if you watch.
$75.00/hr. if you help
$100.00/hr. if you've taken it apart & want me to put it back together.

Most people don't bag-n-tag. They walk in, hand me a project, & a coffee can of fasteners. Nuts, bolts, screws, washers, in one big pile! This does not save me any time by the customer taking apart a project, especially if the vehicle is something strange, or rare, like a '41 Packard. How many of those have I worked on, or will in the future? (Actually, I've done 3 Packards. I have a pretty good memory, but remembering details of specific makes or models, with 10 years in between working on each one? Yikes!)

So...for you guys taking apart your interiors, or any other part of your truck, especially if it's gonna be apart for a while,
Pix, bags, & tags! You'll be so much happier, & way less frustrated when it comes to the re-assembly.

Reaction score
Anything haha, like I am pretty sure when I look at the parts I know where I pulled them, but some in different orders, just wondering if anyone had a diagram or schematic of an exploded view of the interior

Let me know exactly what diagrams u need. I have access to GM db. Dash? Plastic trims? Doors? I've no complete exploded view diag.

Last edited:

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will take diagrams for the rear seat, back of cab trim and carpet. I know the doors and dash pretty well. And I just happened to be wise enough to bag screws and fasteners, I even wrote on the bags where I pulled them. Watch for my build thread soon, because I did pull my Chevy apart to just a cab on a frame with an engine attached. It just ended up taking a lot longer then I thought (3-4 weeks) to do the work. And since the interior was the first to go, it's also the first thing I'm forgetting details about.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I will take diagrams for the rear seat, back of cab trim and carpet. I know the doors and dash pretty well. And I just happened to be wise enough to bag screws and fasteners, I even wrote on the bags where I pulled them. Watch for my build thread soon, because I did pull my Chevy apart to just a cab on a frame with an engine attached. It just ended up taking a lot longer then I thought (3-4 weeks) to do the work. And since the interior was the first to go, it's also the first thing I'm forgetting details about.

Right on! Good job man!
And you're right. The interior is the first out, last in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777