The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

logikfive

Reaction score
Anyone have the issue with rubbing the dash with cleaners and having it take the factory paint off? My '98 was probably never cleaned inside, which attributed to the paint coming off when I cleaned it. If so, does anyone know if Duplicolor or SEM makes a color matching light gray? I'd like to repaint it to make it look a little bit better.

Lastly, not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but do the vents in the dash just pop out? I played with one a little bit and it seemed like it wanted to come out but I couldn't get it entirely free so I put it back.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Anyone have the issue with rubbing the dash with cleaners and having it take the factory paint off? My '98 was probably never cleaned inside, which attributed to the paint coming off when I cleaned it. If so, does anyone know if Duplicolor or SEM makes a color matching light gray? I'd like to repaint it to make it look a little bit better.

Lastly, not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but do the vents in the dash just pop out? I played with one a little bit and it seemed like it wanted to come out but I couldn't get it entirely free so I put it back.

Not sure on the paint.

Passenger side vent'll require 2 flat-head screw drivers to push down the tabs on the bottom side, then lift out the bottom and it'll be free. The others that are attached to the dash bezel come out from the back. Remove bezel & carefully pry/remove vents.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stupid question- How do I remove and replace a 1994 shifter handle without getting that little spring all messed up? I dont want it to fall into the column or lose it altogether. Is it possible to just drive that pin out, remove the handle, put in new one, and put the pin back in without screwing anything up?

GMfanatic

Reaction score
ok i searched but couldnt find a detailed answer, i have a 91 sierra with power windows/locks and i want to swap to newer panels from a 95 or so and was wondering if they are compatible with the dash? any info would be great, thanks.

TTZ06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK I got one, while pulling out the wiring mess that the last owner left, I pulled the light switch out of the drivers side of the dash. The one that turns on the lights when you open the doors. Can these be found easily and are they easy to replace?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok i searched but couldnt find a detailed answer, i have a 91 sierra with power windows/locks and i want to swap to newer panels from a 95 or so and was wondering if they are compatible with the dash? any info would be great, thanks.

They'll work. They won't exactly look right when the doors are closed, but it's not that bad. I have a friend who did this years ago.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
How do you replace the rear view mirrors on an 88-94 truck? Whole interior door panel come off or just loosened to get to nuts on mirrors? Replacing 88-94 chrome mirrors for 95+ black plastic mirrors.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stupid question- How do I remove and replace a 1994 shifter handle without getting that little spring all messed up? I dont want it to fall into the column or lose it altogether. Is it possible to just drive that pin out, remove the handle, put in new one, and put the pin back in without screwing anything up?

You already said the right way to do it, just drive the pin out and replace the handle and reinstall the pin.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do you replace the rear view mirrors on an 88-94 truck? Whole interior door panel come off or just loosened to get to nuts on mirrors? Replacing 88-94 chrome mirrors for 95+ black plastic mirrors.

You are definitly going to want to remove the whole door panel to change the mirror.