The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dillon

Reaction score
Dumb question but does anybody know what part this is? I’m dropping a new crate motor in and I believe coolant came out after unscrewing this from the block. I originally had a blown head gasket and was wanting to replace as much coolant related parts as possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

RANDALL COOK

Reaction score
There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. Is that part on the right a part of it; was there a hose connected to it? I've never seen one, just curious.

RANDALL COOK

Reaction score
what makes an engine a 12 oclock timing or a 2oclock timing...please don't say the timing mark and damper because i have a 2oclock timing mark and damper but the lite flashes at the 12 oclock position...please explain

I'm not sure why you say "dont say the ... damper..", but I had an engine the ran just fine but the mark was way off from the light. The rubber insert in the damper had spun and moved the mark a quarter of a turn off. The 'timing' can be changed by the ECM, a vacuum advance, or a centrifugal advance, but the relationship of the mark on the damper to the actual TDC of the #1 piston can not change unless the insert slips, as far as I know. It is also possible to accidentally check the wrong piston for timing.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dumb question but does anybody know what part this is? I’m dropping a new crate motor in and I believe coolant came out after unscrewing this from the block. I originally had a blown head gasket and was wanting to replace as much coolant related parts as possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

Knock sensor

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aside from normal parts lifespan, did the TBI 350s have the same failure issue with intake gaskets as the vortec?

I’m tentatively looking at a 95 Z71 for my son. It has 140k on it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. The Vortecs have plastic intake manifold gaskets that seal really well up until they don't. When one goes it cracks and dumps all your coolant while you're towing a 5,000 lb trailer through five miles of barricaded construction zone in Lawrence, Kansas. Twenty-four hours and $700 later you finally hit the road again, but your truck is never really the same again because that last couple miles of getting a nuclear-hot engine to a safe place to pull over put cracks in both your cylinder heads.

The TBIs have the old style fiber gaskets. They just work.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. The Vortecs have plastic intake manifold gaskets that seal really well up until they don't. When one goes it cracks and dumps all your coolant while you're towing a 5,000 lb trailer through five miles of barricaded construction zone in Lawrence, Kansas. Twenty-four hours and $700 later you finally hit the road again, but your truck is never really the same again because that last couple miles of getting a nuclear-hot engine to a safe place to pull over put cracks in both your cylinder heads.

Eric,
Only the upper half of the intake is plastic, and no coolant in the upper half. That plastic portion of the intake houses the FI spider.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Thanks, I appreciate it.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aside from normal parts lifespan, did the TBI 350s have the same failure issue with intake gaskets as the vortec?

I’m tentatively looking at a 95 Z71 for my son. It has 140k on it.

I would say yes, the failure rate would be pretty close to the same between the two.

Although I would bet that 95 already has had the intake gaskets replaced.