The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
Last night I went out for a drive and heard a metal grinding noise followed by a ping of something hitting the pavement. The sound stopped and never came back. It seems to be driving just fine but I returned to the spot where it happened and found some pieces. I don’t know what the hell they are or where they came from but how worried should I be?
You must be registered for see images attach

holy **** man is that the blinker fluid reservoir tensioner arm?

No clue doesn’t look familiar, but that metal piece does look like it’s been run over more than once. Could it be someone else’s junk you just ran over?

DylChrFla

Reaction score
holy
No clue doesn’t look familiar, but that metal piece does look like it’s been run over more than once. Could it be someone else’s junk you just ran over?
holy **** man is that the blinker fluid reservoir tensioner arm?

It’s possible, but the noise I heard sounded like it came from the engine bay.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t know what possessed me to put SeaFoam in my crankcase, but now my oil pressure is very responsive to throttle. Did I break some gunk loose or screw up my oil pressure sending unit? Will an oil and filter change fix this, or have I exposed a lurking problem?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t know what possessed me to put SeaFoam in my crankcase, ...

Change the oil (which one should do rather quickly after one of those "motor flush" operations.. like after 5-10 minutes of idle).
No clue where the oil pressure sending unit is on the VT's, but the Gen1 have two. one just pass the back of the intake manifold and to the right of the distributor, and one on the driver side rear mid engine.
easy/cheap to replace.

RANDALL COOK

Reaction score
Post here if you have a simple question. This will help keep track of common info and reduce clutter.
Just signed up to this site, not sure how to post stuff. I am needing information on the Aux. fan control sequence on a 1996 Suburban s7.4L engine. I found some info on a 1998 and a 1995, but there is a huge difference between the two. Thanks, Randy

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just signed up to this site, not sure how to post stuff. I am needing information on the Aux. fan control sequence on a 1996 Suburban s7.4L engine. I found some info on a 1998 and a 1995, but there is a huge difference between the two. Thanks, Randy

Welcome! I can’t say for certain, but I think the 1996 should be closer to the 1998 than 1995. 1995-1996 was the big changeover, at least in the gas engines.