The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do I find the right serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley for my truck? or what is the best combo set for the money?
Is it a performance motor?
I'd go with an under drive setup.
Just to free up some horsepower

Blue Mule

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I find the right serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley for my truck? or what is the best combo set for the money?

As long as you know the answers to the various questions that online catalogs use, you'll usually come out with the right part. Know what style or amperage alternator you have and whether or not it has AC. Know if your truck has Federal or California emissions. That will usually do it for the majority of the 1/2 ton trucks. Special options like police, ambulance, or plow packages can make a difference.

As far as "combo kits", anything from Gates, Dayco, Goodyear, or Continental should be fine. I personally prefer Gates, but any will suffice.

Lightnin

Reaction score
I’m not sure where exactly to post this but I recently bought a 95 2 door Yukon for my little brother and it seems to run hot and smells like it’s burning something it shouldn’t be when I accelerate. I’ve asked a few of my buddies who are a bit more mechanically inclined and they told me to flush the coolant system, throw a new thermostat in and see how it does. I was concerned about the oil (or whatever it is) burning so I pulled the plugs and 7 of them look fairly normal.. or at least uniform but my #4 cylinder is coated in oil and gunk. The motor has 253k on it and the guy before let his kids drive it. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst, I would prefer to not have to a head gasket job. Anything helps. Thank you

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I doubt some lame ass kids could beat a truck as hard as I can. That does look like oil though, compression check?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^X2 - unless they got it hot...
Chances are you either have a blown head gasket or your intake gasket is leaking from the valley to the intake port. Compression check can tell you if you have a blown head gasket but, it won't tell you if you have a leaking intake.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Oil points more toward rings, doesn't it? Best case scenario, lower intake manifold gaskets... Definitely needs a compression check.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[mention]Lightnin [/mention] you found a Yukon GT! I have a 95 Tahoe 2-door. I love the platform. Good luck getting it running - Sorry I’m no help.

DylChrFla

Reaction score
Last night I went out for a drive and heard a metal grinding noise followed by a ping of something hitting the pavement. The sound stopped and never came back. It seems to be driving just fine but I returned to the spot where it happened and found some pieces. I don’t know what the hell they are or where they came from but how worried should I be?