The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you street drive the truck... don't do it. You COULD almost get away with it in the back (provided you make all large sweeping turns)... but you'd break stuff up front in NO time.

thats exactly what i figured... i might do the rear... ive been told i drive like im pulling a trailer, wich idk if that means im really good at pulling a trlr, or really suck at driving haha

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do I have to change to put a 14 bolt 10.5 FF under my truck? Am aware of them being 8 lug.
Is there a trick u-joint that will work with my stock driveshaft to mate to the yolk?
Do the spring perches match up or do you have to weld on new ones?

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
What do I have to change to put a 14 bolt 10.5 FF under my truck? Am aware of them being 8 lug.
Is there a trick u-joint that will work with my stock driveshaft to mate to the yolk?
Do the spring perches match up or do you have to weld on new ones?

Assuming your truck is 6 lug currently, you will need this kit:

http://www.cutthroat4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=55

You can get a conversion joint (half 14 bolt and half stock, basically), or swap over the yoke from your current diff onto the new one. I know that's what you do with SFs, anyway.

If it's from a 4x4 it will bolt right up.

EDIT: I'm making assumptions that this is for the truck in your sig pic, which appears to be a 6-lug Z71.

As awesome as a FF swap would be, I'd just go for the 14 SF and be done with it. Way stronger than most people need anyways, and a considerably more budgetable swap.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes for truck in my sig. problem is I cannot find a 14 SF to save my arse around here and I am running 4.56's so a 14 SF will cost me gears, locker, plus purchase.
I have found several 14 FF's with 4.56's and a Detroit for $500-700 and all I would need it the above mentioned hub kit to have a FF ready to go with disk brakes. And I don't have to mess with a gear change. At least that is the idea I was kicking around. Then if I do a SAS down the road I can sell the hub kit and swap to 8 lug all the way around.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
yes for truck in my sig. problem is I cannot find a 14 SF to save my arse around here and I am running 4.56's so a 14 SF will cost me gears, locker, plus purchase.
I have found several 14 FF's with 4.56's and a Detroit for $500-700 and all I would need it the above mentioned hub kit to have a FF ready to go with disk brakes. And I don't have to mess with a gear change. At least that is the idea I was kicking around. Then if I do a SAS down the road I can sell the hub kit and swap to 8 lug all the way around.

That sounds like a great plan if you're willing to cough up the cash.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score

Or just run 6 lug front and 8 lug rear until you do to simplify life (and expedite the SAS! lol)

90droptop

Reaction score
ok so i read thru the first 12-15 pages of this thread and there are a few things, i would like to address

1-what size axle came in the front of a 99 2500 suburban?-scrach that i just found it is a 8.25"
2-the dodge diesel with 38mpg with the splitter(is totally doable)
3- the splitter is an aftermarket item that goes between the transmission and the engine effectively doubling the # of gears you have, so a six speed manual would end up a 12 speed manual, very handy device to have when towing long distances and you need the real deep gears in your differential.
4-this is not directed at anyone specifically cause some of the post are very old and im sure those of you that will go back and look might think WTF was i thinking when i posted that, i acctually got a good laugh out of reading some of them.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
ok so i read thru the first 12-15 pages of this thread and there are a few things, i would like to address

1-what size axle came in the front of a 99 2500 suburban?-scrach that i just found it is a 8.25"

a 2500 burban would have a 9.25ifs, a 1500 gas burban is 8.25, 1500 diesel burb is 9.25

90droptop

Reaction score
Any way to look at it and tell which one it is I'm a solid axle guy this ifs crap is new to me