The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked all over and found nothing, so I bought ebay not-very-long-tube 2wd stainless ones and spent way too much time modifying them to clear the 4wd. You might try Doug's Headers or Kooks, but they won't be cheap. I really miss Stan's Headers..
I mean it's not the end of the world; I've got a set of shorties but I figured since I'd be swapping in a new motor it'd be the perfect opportunity to install long-tubes.
Kooks Exhaust is about a half hour from me; I assume I could probably get something from them but the cost would probably make my head spin.

I still don't know why JBA doesn't offer their LTs anymore? Maybe I oughta call?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean it's not the end of the world; I've got a set of shorties but I figured since I'd be swapping in a new motor it'd be the perfect opportunity to install long-tubes.
Kooks Exhaust is about a half hour from me; I assume I could probably get something from them but the cost would probably make my head spin.

I still don't know why JBA doesn't offer their LTs anymore? Maybe I oughta call?
Everybody has dropped long tubes, because the EPA is fining them $50K per violation or something crazy like that for emissions defeat items.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everybody has dropped long tubes, because the EPA is fining them $50K per violation or something crazy like that for emissions defeat items.
That's annoying. Of course most government intervention is just that.
Wonder if there's any NOS items sitting in a warehouse somewhere?

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I need plug wires for my truck. Straight boots hit on several header tubes, and 90's didn't work either. So I need a 45 deg set that fits the vortec cap. If I go to 8mm though I will need new loom things. What are you guys using?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I need plug wires for my truck. Straight boots hit on several header tubes, and 90's didn't work either. So I need a 45 deg set that fits the vortec cap. If I go to 8mm though I will need new loom things. What are you guys using?
I've got JBA plug wires on my truck; still running manifolds though. Those particular plug wires were made specifically for JBA headers though,
Maybe check them out? I don't have any pics of them in my truck on hand,

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey Scott, I used these wires:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I know you have your custom headers, I have the JBA headers. with the Accels above #3 is a tight fit, #5 would not take a straight one and I had to buy one of these:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think they sell a full kit of the 135*, but not sure. hang on to your old wires, in case you need to salvage the distributer end boot.

they were also very tight on the spark plug terminal, they snap on tight, were hard to get off the first time. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Edit: Psych! I found the same accel ceramic ones. they look great. I have some leftover 8mm race wires and I will experiment with putting on stock dist boots.

This accel ceramic set is awesome, but does not have the straight-in vortec cap boots. Do I have to rig stock dist boots onto these wires? I can't even find a universal set with the vortec boots.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes, you will need the old boot and terminal end for the dizzy side. it takes a ton of patience to take the old ends off and fit crimp to the new wires. I think there are special pilers for crimping it but I used several tools in the box to get it done.

edit: here is where I describe taking those terminal ends apart https://www.gmt400.com/threads/97-454-l29-build-plans.56339/post-1247431

Last edited:

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just bought a set of the 135 deg accel ceramic on ebay, someone had an open box for $100. I will make them work. Thanks guys!