The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nightfire37

Reaction score
Quick question with the intake manifold on the L29s. Do they flow well to get over 400 hp after swapping the heads and cam? First time dabbling in BBC stuff. I picked up a 98 k2500 Suburban a few months ago for the cheap and making it the tow rig

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Quick question with the intake manifold on the L29s. Do they flow well to get over 400 hp after swapping the heads and cam? First time dabbling in BBC stuff. I picked up a 98 k2500 Suburban a few months ago for the cheap and making it the tow rig

The intake manifold chokes at 4500 so no. Holdener has a video of a Dyno pull with the stock intake and it doesn't go an inch past where the general had it factory.

nightfire37

Reaction score
The intake manifold chokes at 4500 so no. Holdener has a video of a Dyno pull with the stock intake and it doesn't go an inch past where the general had it factory.
Gotcha appreciate that. Any suggestions you'd recommend? I was thinking on doing the 411 ecm swap and keeping it fuel injected. I did see FiTech has an intake but they are only for rectangle ports and not ovals. Emissions isn't a concern for me since i live in a state that doesn't do emission testing.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the 0411 and I'm planning on just porting and polishing my intake; hoping between a full rebuild with a bit of headwork, a Comp XR270, bigger injectors and plenty of tuning I'll be able to get to 400 horse. Still debating on going to aluminum heads but I really need a price comparison between a set of Brodix aluminum heads or the cost of machine work on my factory heads.

As far the intake upgrades, I think @Scottm did some work using a factory one, and there's another guy with a Suburban who's running an aftermarket intake; I can't recall his name but maybe someone can chime in?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my l29 intake flowing halfway decent with 90mm throttle body and some porting. But in the end moved on to a single plane efi intake.
You must be registered for see images attach

There you are.
Did you port the intake yourself? I've called a couple machine shops and I think I'm going tomorrow to check one out but I'm not sure how they feel about porting and aluminum intake

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There you are.
Did you port the intake yourself? I've called a couple machine shops and I think I'm going tomorrow to check one out but I'm not sure how they feel about porting and aluminum intake
I went through it my self. 90mm throttle body required a new flange welded on. But 90mm throttle body is overkill for the intake, it still was topping out about 4500 rpm on a 8l block with brodix race rite heads. With the low rpm torque cam it pulls up to 6k rpm with intake change

nightfire37

Reaction score
I've got the 0411 and I'm planning on just porting and polishing my intake; hoping between a full rebuild with a bit of headwork, a Comp XR270, bigger injectors and plenty of tuning I'll be able to get to 400 horse. Still debating on going to aluminum heads but I really need a price comparison between a set of Brodix aluminum heads or the cost of machine work on my factory heads.

As far the intake upgrades, I think @Scottm did some work using a factory one, and there's another guy with a Suburban who's running an aftermarket intake; I can't recall his name but maybe someone can chime in?
That cam is actually what i was thinking on running just because of the rpm operation. The heads i was thinking the Edelbrock high comp heads so i dont have to swap out the pistons and retain the 100cc chamber.
I had my l29 intake flowing halfway decent with 90mm throttle body and some porting. But in the end moved on to a single plane efi intake.

Which intake is that? I see you were able to retain A/C as well. Are you running the 411 ecm?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That cam is actually what i was thinking on running just because of the rpm operation. The heads i was thinking the Edelbrock high comp heads so i dont have to swap out the pistons and retain the 100cc chamber.

Which intake is that? I see you were able to retain A/C as well. Are you running the 411 ecm?
I am using a Holley efi intake. The one I am running is for a tall deck block, but they have more options for a standard deck blocks. I jumped to a 58x with e38 ecu. But same set up will run on a 411 with 24x reluctor(for individual coils) or with stock style distributor with 4x.
Stock intake bored for larger throttle body and the Holley intake before everything placed around it.

nightfire37

Reaction score
I am using a Holley efi intake. The one I am running is for a tall deck block, but they have more options for a standard deck blocks. I jumped to a 58x with e38 ecu. But same set up will run on a 411 with 24x reluctor(for individual coils) or with stock style distributor with 4x
I was actually flipping through your build post. I really like it and you did a good job with documentation. Im assuming if i keep the stock style dizzi i would have to do with an oval port based on the heads.