The little blazer that could.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Raggidy pic from my camera on my phone, but point proven... She moves.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Im going to relocate the rear brake line today and bleed the brakes. May have time to get my front diff mounts mocked up. I really wanna get the steering on it next tho, That way i won't build any brackets that would interfere with my turning radius. Im still waiting on another pittman arm and bracket to do the steering.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Well, i had a minor catastrophe last night working on the steering. I got my idler arms positioned correctly and welded on, and bolted the tie rods to them. I was going to turn one tire around with my hands (It should have turned both of them) to check my alignment before i went and further and BAM!!!! Both the idler arms broke off the frame. I was thinking WTF???? I know i can weld better than that. Upon closer inspection, it is obvious that the problem was not the welds, but the material the idler arms are made of. :suicide: So i spent all last night drilling away at the frame trying to bolt them up instead of weld them on. I lack 1 bolt hole getting them all done, then we gotta play heck trying to get the nuts on the back side of them. they are in a terrible position. I got called out to do a burnout, so i decided to do one in it out in the driveway. Hopefully today i can finish up the steering and work on the upper differential mounts.

Last edited:

98_k1500

Reaction score
Steering is done!!!!! I ended up not running the double z bar setup and stuck to the regular z bar. Threw on a tie rod from a farmall tractor, and BAM! she steers like a dream, nice and sharp too. My alignment is terrible... I have major death wobble issues. Gotta get that adjusted out and some more bracing on my front end before i bounce it off in any ruts. I got a ratchet strap holding up my front diff right now, next step is gonna be building mounts for it. Then i gotta hack up the exhaust and the trans cross member so my driveshaft will work. It has been a major project, but it will drive around the yard now and down the road as long as you don't get any faster than 45 MPH. I still have to relocate my rear brake line too, Its gonna rip it off if i flex it any. I got a set of 34" buckshots for free that fit the stock GMT400 wheels, so i put them on it. The 40s were a little much, and kinda sketchy ridin around on them. They are in pitiful shape. Im so ready to ride this thing thru town.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Steering is done!!!!! I ended up not running the double z bar setup and stuck to the regular z bar. Threw on a tie rod from a farmall tractor, and BAM! she steers like a dream, nice and sharp too. My alignment is terrible... I have major death wobble issues. Gotta get that adjusted out and some more bracing on my front end before i bounce it off in any ruts. I got a ratchet strap holding up my front diff right now, next step is gonna be building mounts for it. Then i gotta hack up the exhaust and the trans cross member so my driveshaft will work. It has been a major project, but it will drive around the yard now and down the road as long as you don't get any faster than 45 MPH. I still have to relocate my rear brake line too, Its gonna rip it off if i flex it any. I got a set of 34" buckshots for free that fit the stock GMT400 wheels, so i put them on it. The 40s were a little much, and kinda sketchy ridin around on them. They are in pitiful shape. Im so ready to ride this thing thru town.
Sounds like its coming along great! You need to do a walk around video of the whole thing once you get it wrapped up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

98_k1500

Reaction score
I'll see what i can do lol. It still needs ALOT of work. It will cruise a gravel road in 2wd like it is tho. Biggest thing is i got to get the alignment fixed and get rid of the death wobble before i wreck it lol. It comes out of nowhere and is quite violent.