The little blazer that could.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
So, a while back, i bought this 88 s10 blazer for next to nothing. Its got a tbi 4.3 in it and a 700r4 trans. Its a tahoe, so its loaded, and everything works including the air. I came across the idea for this lift kit from the guys from realift.com, and decided to make my own version. Here is how she sat when i bought her.

You must be registered for see images attach

I took the front differential out of it, and removed the upper control arms. I then cut up the lower control arms, lengthened them, and made them accept 1/2 ton gmt400 upper ball joints. I hung a 4x4 1/2 ton steering knuckle on it, and hung the gmt400 lower control arms on the bottom of the knuckles. I cut the lower cross member out of the 1/2 ton truck and bolted between the lower control arms. Then i bolted in the rear lower control arm brackets, and the rear differential mounts. I bolted up the differential and put the cv axles in it. This setup allows you to run the factory s10 torsion bars and shocks in the factory location. It is 10.5" of lift. Its all just sitting together right now, but it has come a long way for just one day of work going into it. This is how its sitting right now.

The differential is in it now instead of laying on the ground, but by the time all that was done, it was too dark to take a pic.

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Wow haha you got right on this! Wana come work on my stuff?? I Have beer!

98_k1500

Reaction score
Wow haha you got right on this! Wana come work on my stuff?? I Have beer!

Sounds like a plan lol. Once i make up my mind of what im gonna do, I just stay one step ahead of myself in my mind so there is never that "well i got that done, now what" moment. We will see how this goes. The steering is going to have 2 center links and 4 tie rods, and if i am not mistaken, It should drive like its stock...

Edit: its also gonna have 3 idler arms. Anyone wanna guess how its gonna work?

Last edited:

98_k1500

Reaction score
Update: I got the front suspension sorted out and tacked together. Its sittin on its own suspension now, just gotta finish some welding. The rear is complete. I really have to find me a passenger side torsion bar for it, its sagging so bad that with it cranked to the max, the cv axles are completely level. The driver's side bolt is sticking out 2+ inches and the truck sits level. I still have to build 2 differential mounts, brake lines, a front driveshaft, and install the steering linkage. PICS TO COME SOON!!!!!!

98_k1500

Reaction score

Sent from my little brother's I phone...

This is some pics i took over the weekend. This is where it sits with the torsion bars at the stock height. I should be able to crank and attain at least a couple more inches in the front, and i have some larger lift blocks for the rear if i end up having too much rake.

Comments anyone??

98_k1500

Reaction score
It will run and move, Steering is not finished yet, and i got the front diff out of it again doing some tweaking on my mounts. Still got some stuff to finish up. She is gettin closer tho. You can see in the 2nd pic that the cv axle is not bolted to anything.

98_k1500

Reaction score
I appreciate it. This stuff is taking alot of fab work but its coming together nicely. Few more hours cutting and welding should finish her up. :sawzall: