The herd grows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They quickly become a bigger project than we bargained for. A 383 would be nice. Can’t knock the LS either. I think next year I’m going to start planning a 6.0 for my ‘95.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They quickly become a bigger project than we bargained for. A 383 would be nice. Can’t knock the LS either. I think next year I’m going to start planning a 6.0 for my ‘95.

I've done 6 LS swaps and I agree that a 6.0 would be a great upgrade, but I want to keep this stock or at least stock appearing. I'm still hoping that I don't have to pull the motor anytime soon.

I did some more "testing" and foot to the floor up to 4K rpms, the oil pressure just bounced around 40 psi. It's either at 20 or 40 all the time with a little bouncing here and there.

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the 2-door gang. I have had three in the past year alone, but down to just one now (the red one) that I am keeping forever (<= relatively speaking... ;)). I have had 4 total, I love these things:

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It is large - over 9,000 lbs worth of electric.... :nono:
So when one of these has to be towed... HD wrecker? I thought my CCLB was bad in that respect (it's sooo looong). But weight is under 5500# empty.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So when one of these has to be towed... HD wrecker? I thought my CCLB was bad in that respect (it's sooo looong). But weight is under 5500# empty.
It's kind of over the limit for a light duty wrecker, that's for sure. The lift rating on most of the units is 4K lbs (extended), tow rating 7.5K lbs. Not sure why they always list the "extended" capacity, because you would never tow with the boom extended all the way out; you just go a few inches so the crossbar can swivel as you turn, and that you have enough gap between rear of the wrecker and the towed vehicle so you don't damage it.

Also the AWD aspect of the Hummer means it would need a flatbed or dollies, and even the upgraded dollies are just over 4K lbs rating, and those are the ones with the 5.70 tires instead of 4.80's. Most of us carry the dolllies with 4.80's because lifting them on/off the truck is backbreaking enough already.. the other dollies are even heavier.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
It's kind of over the limit for a light duty wrecker, that's for sure. The lift rating on most of the units is 4K lbs (extended), tow rating 7.5K lbs. Not sure why they always list the "extended" capacity, because you would never tow with the boom extended all the way out; you just go a few inches so the crossbar can swivel as you turn, and that you have enough gap between rear of the wrecker and the towed vehicle so you don't damage it.

Also the AWD aspect of the Hummer means it would need a flatbed or dollies, and even the upgraded dollies are just over 4K lbs rating, and those are the ones with the 5.70 tires instead of 4.80's. Most of us carry the dolllies with 4.80's because lifting them on/off the truck is backbreaking enough already.. the other dollies are even heavier.

Richard
Sounds like adding charging stations to the infrastructure is only one of the "upgrades" to it,that need to be made before widespread adoption of EV's can be realistically accomplished.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like adding charging stations to the infrastructure is only one of the "upgrades" to it,that need to be made before widespread adoption of EV's can be realistically accomplished.
Fortunately those Hummer EV's are the extreme minority and likely to stay more of a niche vehicle than the others. Your typical Tesla is around 4500 lbs, that ridiculous Genesis G80 EV I towed a month or so ago was closer to 5000. It's a strain popping the dollies up under one of those but it's really no worse than any modern large SUV.

There's other things to consider like extra wear and tear on roads from vehicles that aren't being taxed in a way that contributes to road maintenance, since they aren't paying fuel taxes. That's the wedge the government will use to tax us by the mile driven (plans to do so have been kicked around for many years now) when in reality that's more of a surveillance scheme to know everywhere a person goes at all times.. and bonus! They keep getting their tax money.

Parking garages are going to take a beating, too. The floors "move" in a garage and I have to be really careful in some when I'm in the wrecker as that sucker is around 10K lbs. Imagine an older garage structure not engineered to be loaded full of 5000+ lb cars. Then take urban areas choked for space and new ways of utilizing existing structures - there's theories floating that the garage collapse in NYC a while back was because they were parking a large number of vehicles (some EV) valet-style, so there were more vehicles packed in there than appropriate for the space. It was a very old building with some existing damage, but that describes a whole lot of those structures.

Sorry for the sidetrack :)

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Fortunately those Hummer EV's are the extreme minority and likely to stay more of a niche vehicle than the others. Your typical Tesla is around 4500 lbs, that ridiculous Genesis G80 EV I towed a month or so ago was closer to 5000. It's a strain popping the dollies up under one of those but it's really no worse than any modern large SUV.

There's other things to consider like extra wear and tear on roads from vehicles that aren't being taxed in a way that contributes to road maintenance, since they aren't paying fuel taxes. That's the wedge the government will use to tax us by the mile driven (plans to do so have been kicked around for many years now) when in reality that's more of a surveillance scheme to know everywhere a person goes at all times.. and bonus! They keep getting their tax money.

Parking garages are going to take a beating, too. The floors "move" in a garage and I have to be really careful in some when I'm in the wrecker as that sucker is around 10K lbs. Imagine an older garage structure not engineered to be loaded full of 5000+ lb cars. Then take urban areas choked for space and new ways of utilizing existing structures - there's theories floating that the garage collapse in NYC a while back was because they were parking a large number of vehicles (some EV) valet-style, so there were more vehicles packed in there than appropriate for the space. It was a very old building with some existing damage, but that describes a whole lot of those structures.

Sorry for the sidetrack :)

Richard
Yes I've noticed that in parking garages we've been in, that the floor moves as cars go through it. The Midtown Randall's grocery store has a single level garage underneath it (we've been in it with the Burb, but the entrance/exit is a VERY sharp and abrupt turn that Burb barely fits in, so I know better than to attempt it with the big truck!). Walking in the store , especially the mezzanine, I can feel that motion of the layers. We have been in a few of the Medical Center garages with the Burb and they're that way too. It is unnerving, and it's not something you want to think about, what happens when this starts moving....