The herd grows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing some investigating ...

According to the glovebox she's got GU6/3.42 gears. (Also, it has the Z71 code, neat.)

These tires are 265/75/16. The tires on there before were 265/70/16. I used some online calculators and at 2000 rpm in overdrive the speed only changed from ~76 to ~78.5. Pretty negligible change. Gotta be the difference in mass.

I think this engine must be pretty tired to slow down that much. I will do a compression test when it gets colder.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove it this morning and it was a completely different truck. Minus the kid, 4 wheels and tires in the back, and 25 degree cooler weather it felt like it only lost 10 HP. I'm ok with that.

Still going to do the tuneup and compression test while I have the plugs out.

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After much pressure from the rest of the family, he came up with a name for it: Billy GOAT, or just GOAT. According to him, it will climb anything like a goat.

My wife's name for it was: mom's new truck. Maybe after we get moved and the kids off to college, there might be another one in the future.

Last edited:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
18+ lbs per tire added at each corner(assuming coming from a 4-ply p-metric styled tire)...definitely adding some rotational weight.

I'd love to have his & hers 2-door's! Wife almost ended up with a Yukon a few years ago, but seller was pretty sketchy.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
The old tires were load index 112 made by "Landsail". I don't know what that correlates to in load range.

Standard SL 4-ply. 34.22lbs new according to their website. KO2 shows 53.8lbs, so almost 20lbs per corner...definitely a big change!

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standard SL 4-ply. 34.22lbs new according to their website. KO2 shows 53.8lbs, so almost 20lbs per corner...definitely a big change!

I think the net difference is less than 20 because of the wheel change. The center cap on those wheels is actual thick steel, there's about a pound right there, LOL.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the o-rings on the AC replaced and leak tested. Still not super cold, but it's cold. I think the blower motor is tired because it doesn't really blow hard even on high.

Then when I got home I put it in park and it almost died again. I revved it a bit and noticed the oil pressure was sticky at 20 then would really jump to 40 eventually. Sure enough it went back to 20 when I turned it off. I'm starting to think it has 0 psi of pressure at idle even though the valve train sounds fine. It might explain the tendency to die. Or maybe just a bad sender or gauge.

Checked the oil (full) and it burned my hand because the dipstick was nuclear hot. Never had that happen before. The oil was brand new, which also makes me suspect.

Nothing that can really be done about it now, but just drive it until it gets worse. That 383 might be coming sooner than later.