The herd grows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lisle tool worked well once I figured out which doodad shove in the snout.

I covered the crank with a plastic bag and used a whole can of engine degreaser on the front and washed it off. Then I sprayed the crank with oil and put a fresh bag on until I get the cover off tomorrow. It's improved but still grimey as heck.

You must be registered for see images attach

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the new timing cover on. At first I was like dang, they really coated this old cover in RTV, it's over 1/4" thick. Then I realized it was part of the oil pan gasket.

So, I got my right stuff and I stacked 3 rows of dimes on top of each other on the bottom of the new cover. ;) If it works, great. If it doesn't, I'm calling Blue Print. To heck with pulling the diff and all that.

Obligatory pics

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Did you have to move the oil pan any, to get the timing cover on or off? I remember having to drop it on our other '99 Burb 5.7....

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Power steering pump is off. That was a small ordeal. I didn't expect there to be a bracket holding it to the block. One of the nuts was completely hidden under the grime and the other was up under the exhaust manifold.

It seems to me this bracket was part of the assembly line process to hold it in place. Pretty sure I'm deleting it.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Power steering pump is off. That was a small ordeal. I didn't expect there to be a bracket holding it to the block. One of the nuts was completely hidden under the grime and the other was up under the exhaust manifold.

It seems to me this bracket was part of the assembly line process to hold it in place. Pretty sure I'm deleting it.
Yea that’s weird dealio.
Took me FOR-EV-ER to figure out the first time.
Must have been traumatizing because 7 years later, I took those nuts off first o_O

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea that’s weird dealio.
Took me FOR-EV-ER to figure out the first time.
Must have been traumatizing because 7 years later, I took those nuts off first o_O

I'd still be scratching my head if not for youtube, LOL.

I really don't think the bracket does anything, but I started doubting myself and put it back on. Power steering is almost completely back together except for the pulley.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid pulley installer nut stripped out with only about 1/8" left for the power steering pully. I need to get a new nut and some washers to keep it from getting to the bottom.

Started getting too hot to work in the sunshine though, so Ima come back to it later. Maybe watch some football.