Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of personal life going on right now, and I needed some therapy. So I decided to take my lunch and do some grinding....

Attachments

• 20220805_130857.jpg
    20220805_130857.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220805_130936.jpg
    20220805_130936.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 8

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to rebuild my steering gearbox, and you're progressing much faster than I am, and I'm in the A/C.

My obsessive compulsion is pinging...

Circled in red: loosen those clamps until you can get them on and off, go out about three threads past the locking nut, cut off the rest of the threads. When you final-install them, turn the clamps to where you're not going to catch tools on them.

Circled in yellow: I'm assuming you're just mocking up right now, but you probably already know that on final installation you want about 3/16" of the hose sticking out past the clamp all around.

In the AF we use those clamps to hold scuff covers on the bleed air hoses. They're outstanding compared to regular hose clamps, but if you don't cut the tails off they catch EVERYTHING. Cut them off too short and you have to use channel locks to clamp them down enough to start the nut.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to rebuild my steering gearbox, and you're progressing much faster than I am, and I'm in the A/C.

My obsessive compulsion is pinging...

Circled in red: loosen those clamps until you can get them on and off, go out about three threads past the locking nut, cut off the rest of the threads. When you final-install them, turn the clamps to where you're not going to catch tools on them.

Circled in yellow: I'm assuming you're just mocking up right now, but you probably already know that on final installation you want about 3/16" of the hose sticking out past the clamp all around.

In the AF we use those clamps to hold scuff covers on the bleed air hoses. They're outstanding compared to regular hose clamps, but if you don't cut the tails off they catch EVERYTHING. Cut them off too short and you have to use channel locks to clamp them down enough to start the nut.

You must be registered for see images attach
I'm trying to put in as much time as possible. I've been working my lunch and at least 2 hours in the evening, unless the day job doesn't allow it.

You're suggestions and comments always have weight here! It's all mock up there. That red circled clamp on the cold pipe doesn't have slip nipple on it, neither does the one in yellow. I've got the ends cut, I just gotta get them on the disc sander to true them up and off to the welder.
BUT, your suggestion on cutting them off will be done of final assembly. Thank you sir!!!!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to put in as much time as possible. I've been working my lunch and at least 2 hours in the evening, unless the day job doesn't allow it.

You're suggestions and comments always have weight here! It's all mock up there. That red circled clamp on the cold pipe doesn't have slip nipple on it, neither does the one in yellow. I've got the ends cut, I just gotta get them on the disc sander to true them up and off to the welder.
BUT, your suggestion on cutting them off will be done of final assembly. Thank you sir!!!!
Keep chipping away at it, you'll get there.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure they roll the bead on the end of the pipe AND weld on some kind of loop. I've had trouble in the past with pipes blowing off under boost even with those kinds of clamps and a bead rolled on the end of the pipe. We usually would have to weld half a washer on each pipe end and safety wire the pipes together as a final measure to prevent that. I would be tempted to have a direct connection at that yellow circled spot with a v-band clamp and then the rubber boot at the snail with safety wire retainer

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure they roll the bead on the end of the pipe AND weld on some kind of loop. I've had trouble in the past with pipes blowing off under boost even with those kinds of clamps and a bead rolled on the end of the pipe. We usually would have to weld half a washer on each pipe end and safety wire the pipes together as a final measure to prevent that. I would be tempted to have a direct connection at that yellow circled spot with a v-band clamp and then the rubber boot at the snail with safety wire retainer
Thanks for the heads up. Great tips, thank you sir!