The Best Locking Header Bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stage 8 are the only ones I've used, they work great, however they can be a pain to get on depending on the kind of clearance you have available

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can make them work for most situations, but it may take a little grinding on the pieces from the stage 8 kit that rest against the header piptes, a couple of mine had the pipe too close to the bolt to fit otherwise, I even think stage 8 makes a note about doing that in their install instructions. have a little dremel tool or something handy when you're doing the install so you can fit it in there.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
you can make them work for most situations, but it may take a little grinding on the pieces from the stage 8 kit that rest against the header piptes, a couple of mine had the pipe too close to the bolt to fit otherwise, I even think stage 8 makes a note about doing that in their install instructions. have a little dremel tool or something handy when you're doing the install so you can fit it in there.

Perfect tid bit of info, will keep one handy incase I do have some clearance issues.
Not sure if I should just order them online or get them local.. Will update when I get the headers on anyhow.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Well, the headers are in. I went with Percys locking header bolts. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-21004/media/images
Had some clearance issues, couldn't fit a socket on a few of the bolts. My y-pipe is also too wide by about an inch.
Both rear most plug boots were a ***** to get on, removing spark plugs looks like it will be a nightmare.
Overall dissapointed in the headers, but what do you expect for $80.

On topic: the Percys bolts seem like a quality product. Personally don't like the 12 point though :shrug:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I'm not a 12 point fan either, but glad they worked out for you...

just FYI, headers will ALWAYS make getting to the plugs and getting the boots on a PITA, regardless of price...

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
yeah I'm not a 12 point fan either, but glad they worked out for you...

just FYI, headers will ALWAYS make getting to the plugs and getting the boots on a PITA, regardless of price...

Oh I realize that, without a doubt I knew I was going to have some pains with plugs n boots. However these seem to be exceptionally close..Plug boot actually being forced into a different shape and squeezed between plug/pipe so tight I can barely move it and can only imagine it melting away. Not to mention a couple of bends have eliminated being able to use a socket on a couple bolts.

And the y-pipe will need to be narrowed, all in all I think I'll go back to the manifolds.