The 98 5.7 fuel pump no worky.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares what brand filter you use? Just buy Top Tier gas and keep everything clean when filling up :waytogo: I ran my truck for 16+ years without changing it. When I did upgrade the fuel pump (AC Delco EP381) I got a new sock (AC Delco too) and a Standard Products filter - I'm good for another 16 years :anitoof:. Of course, living in the desert and not worrying about freezing/warming cycles, I got no problem!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ONE contaminated tank of fuel can plug the sock...or the filter.

A consumer has no control over the dreck in a gas station underground tank; or whether there's a filter of some sort on the gas station fuel pump.

Around here, leaving a fuel filter for sixteen years would mean you'd be cutting the fuel tube on either side of the filter, and replacing those sections of tube along with the flares and flare nuts. I had to do that on my '97. The flare nuts had become one with both the tube and the filter threads.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the bare stainless steel ones. Some of them are painted, and I doubt those are stainless. I really don't know what brands I've used. The one I just installed was stainless and looked good and installed it. It came from Gas Tank Renu with my nylon fuel line kit. I already had a Mahle on my parts shelf, but it's painted black. The black paint is why I used the bare stainless unbranded one, instead of the known brand. The Mahle wasn't painted in the Rockauto picture.
I just went with a WIX. It’s also stainless steel. A bunch of just came out of the old one.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who cares what brand filter you use? Just buy Top Tier gas and keep everything clean when filling up :waytogo: I ran my truck for 16+ years without changing it. When I did upgrade the fuel pump (AC Delco EP381) I got a new sock (AC Delco too) and a Standard Products filter - I'm good for another 16 years :anitoof:. Of course, living in the desert and not worrying about freezing/warming cycles, I got no problem!
If I wasn’t a poor teen I would run better fuel. But I’m poor and gas prices are insane. Not as bad as 10years ago though.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I’m poor and gas prices are insane. Not as bad as 10years ago though.
I feel your pain! I'm tuned for premium in my truck so, I'm paying $0.050 more. Around here, QT is about the most reasonable and they're Top Tier. If I'm not mistaken Fry's (Kroger) is not. My wife uses Fry's points and fills her car with it, so far no issues (knock on wood). Shell charges up to $1.00 more for premium (91 octane here) so, I stay away from them. Chevron is just ridiculous.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies but it was a dead pump. I bought the pump last december when the engine was missing bad. There's a thread about that and I tested the fuel pressure at the schrader it was 60psi but the engine would not run, It was the spider. I had it replaced and all was good till last weekend.
I siphoned 20 gals. out of the tank, dropped the tank and replaced the pump. It took a few days w me working after work, it was not fun. I broke one of the push on hose retainer and had to find another one. I was shocked when I finally pulled the tank out from under the truck and pulled the pump out of the tank. The inside of the tank looked about brand new, some black flecks like cracked pepper in the inches of gas still in the tank. I shook the tank and the flecks didn't move. I put my hand w a nitrile glove in the tank and the black stuff was stuck to the bottom of the tank. The new pump is very quiet, the idle is smoother, and less pedal w more go. I really need a garage or a concrete driveway, wrenching in the street sucks.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: