The 98 5.7 fuel pump no worky.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My fuel pump died yesterday, good news it died in a neighbors driveway when I stopped to see him. No noise from the pump w the key and no start w the starter turning fine. I bought a GM ACP MU1745, 12/18/20 from rock auto after thinking the original was shot. Then I had my spider replaced and it fixed the problems had w the truck. I still have the pump in the box. I looked around on the web last night and saw 1A Auto has a pump AND new tank for $230. The pump I bought is $220 now on rock auto. I forgot what I paid for it then but getting a new pump AND tank would be nice. I read that the old tank should be drained and cleaned or the new pump might suck up debris and kill the new pump. I really don't want to clean the old tank, done it on my 98 S-10 V6 years ago and it was not fun. So, are 1AA stuff good? has anyone used this on your truck? Thnx, Randy

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#1 cause of early failure of electric fuel pumps is contamination that gets through the filter sock.

That pump is nearly $340 at O'Reillys.

Are you sure the pump included with the tank is a Delco/OE style, and not the crappier Delco Advantage style?

When it's been me doing the work, I just clean-out the original tank.

Are you sure the pump died, and not the wiring/relay/fuse?

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
#1 cause of early failure of electric fuel pumps is contamination that gets through the filter sock.

Are you sure the pump included with the tank is a Delco/OE style, and not the crappier Delco Advantage style?

I can't mess w it till saturday. The pump I got from RA has no sock, the one from 1A has a sock, i can see it in the pictures.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I could not find the fuse in the diagram in the the dash yesturday what # is it? . I pulled the relay and it was the factory piece, everything in the box is factory.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Its probably not ac delco, at all.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Unless there's obvious debris I would not worry about cleaning the tank. The tank I just replaced still looked clean inside.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not find the fuse in the diagram in the the dash yesturday what # is it? . I pulled the relay and it was the factory piece, everything in the box is factory.
According to my '97 service manual on DVD, it's ECM-B in the underhood fuse box.

Does the relay click to prime the pump when key is turned from "Off" to "On"?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You just ordered a new pump but didn't do any diagnostics?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You just ordered a new pump but didn't do any diagnostics?

Might be a timing thing.... if I have to wait to work on something, I don't want to have to wait again for the parts to arrive. If they end up not needed, they can be returned or stored for later use.