The 6.5 Detroit. How bad is it really.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I like the 6.5. They are no different than any other engine, they have their specific challenges that you have to learn. Glow plugs are not optional, they must all work and work well to start, especially below freezing. Broken cranks are a known issue but also with a known source; the harmonic balancers fail and take the cranks with them. It is known but still not common. They last forever when treated well, mine gets +30% highway fuel mileage (+20% city) vs my 400 gas truck (gas 4.10, diesel 3.73, admittedly) diesel is more expensive, fuel additive is mandatory, they're noisy and when you do need hard parts they're x4 more expensive. The message is if you got a good one, it's great. If you got one that needs love, you need time, knowledge, or money.
I dont have one. Just wanna gain knowledge b4 i get one if they are worth it. Thanks for the information.