Tbi/vortec engine...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently I put a set of vortec heads on a tbi block and when I put oil in it and started it, it ran fine. But when a put coolant in it mixed with the oil and half the coolent gushed out the back somewhere.. how can I fix this

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Youre running the plastic Vortec intake on a TBI truck? How did a multiport EFI run without a crank sensor?

I ask because the TBI has a rear coolant crossover through the intake. The Vortec doesnt and neither do the intake gaskets. So that's likely where the leak is.
A TBI manifold for Vortec heads has to have provisions for that, and the rear exit coolant hose to the heater core, and the manifold mounted EGR...

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Youre running the plastic Vortec intake on a TBI truck? How did a multiport EFI run without a crank sensor?

I ask because the TBI has a rear coolant crossover through the intake. The Vortec doesnt and neither do the intake gaskets. So that's likely where the leak is.
A TBI manifold for Vortec heads has to have provisions for that, and the rear exit coolant hose to the heater core, and the manifold mounted EGR...
The truck is a 96 vortec that I blew 2 rod bearings in so I swapped the top end on a 90 5.7 good tbi bottom end from a junkyard.

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also put a vortec timing cover on the block, I had to cut to small mounting tabes but otherwise the covers are the same

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's good that you're filling in missing info that wasnt in the original post. But its like pulling teeth to get the details. Is there anything else you'd like to share?