TBI injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure the injectors are going bad in my '94 5.7. Looking to see where I can get some new/reman injectors that won't break the bank. Most places I'm finding them online don't show any reviews to know if they're actually any good or not.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure this is an injector problem and not a fuel pressure problem? What is your fuel pressure?

Buy a few bottles of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Buy gasoline only from Top Tier fuel stations. Dump a bottle of Techron in the tank for the next few fill-ups.

See what happens with the injectors.

Failed TBI injectors are not common. (Anything is possible.)

If all else fails, pop 'em out of the pod, and verify that the screens aren't clogged.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree. The TBI set up on these trucks is almost impossible to kill. A cheap solustion is to take it apart, replace the screens, o-rings, and clean the TBI, and put it back on with a fresh fuel filter inline.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards injectors because they are the only part of the fuel system that hasn't been replaced. Tank was dropped and cleaned, new pump and sender, new filter, completely disassembled the tbi and deep cleaned everything. Truck runs decent but super rich at idle but does not take well to throttle in gear. I've replaced and tested every sensor connected to fueling and everything else checks out fine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards injectors because... ...Truck runs decent but super rich at idle but does not take well to throttle in gear. I've replaced and tested every sensor connected to fueling
HOW did you "test every sensor related to fueling"?

HOW do you know it's running "super rich" at idle?

Why not test all the sensors?

Doesn't matter if the sensor is good, if the wire harness connecting it to the computer is damaged.

Have you connected a scan tool to see what the computer wants you to know? Codes, but more important the sensor and output data on the data stream.

and everything else checks out fine.
DEFINE "everything else" and "checks out fine".

WHAT else did you test?
HOW did you test it?

Is the EGR stuck open?

Does the ignition coil have enough output to reliably fire a spark-tester calibrated for HEI?

What is your fuel pressure?
Have you checked fuel pressure?