Tbi headers : seeking advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After reading the old threads about the eBay headers lasting relatively well and the tbi truck mods pages focusing on exhaust as a definite bottleneck in the engine. A lot of the responses I saw referenced fitment and looks buy I didn't find definitive info about performance improvements. I wanted to get some real world input. These would be going on a 1994 4x4 suburban hunting rig. Looks and cool factor tank extremely low on my list of priorities for the truck, my primary goal is torque. looking for feedback from those of you that have headers installed on your tbi 5.7

What types of real world gains did you experience? (Dyno/mpg?)
Are you still able to change plugs without removing the headers?
If you were back at square one would you buy/install them today, if so which ones?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Thoughts welcome, especially those who have done these or other similar mods to 90's TBI trucks with success. I am not looking to create a money pit. Biggest bang for my buck to improve torque is the end goal. G80/GT4 (3.73 limited slip) truck, brand new hd trans with increased pressure, upgraded trans internals to last (hardened sprag/sunshell/ wider hd bands and 285/75/17s are the only upgrades to the suburban.
All else bone stock 147k

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Extreme TBI mods, Other than that, its gonna be throwing money at it. If you want more low end, invest in a set of 4.10 or 4.56s.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So a roughly 3.5" increase in tire height vs. stock, yeah; a gear upgrade might be in order. But even that is pricey when you consider you have two differentials to deal with.

I don't honestly believe there is anything you can do with the TBI engine that will significantly improve its torque/hp without spending a lot, and getting involved in custom tuning to support the modifications. Better cam, heads, engine management, etc. it adds up quick. All the "easy" stuff doesn't really net you any noticeable gains...more of a placebo effect than anything. Free up the air intake or uncork the exhaust = sounds louder, must be more powerful. ;)

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I got 1 better for you... Stall converter. They are not terribly expensive, and will really help you spin the tires from a stop. Be sure its a lockup converter, and it won't affect your mileage by any noticeable amount.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Good input so far. I won't be doing gears due to cost but I am certainly open to tire size reccs. As the tires are old anyway (I do admit I like the ride height but would sacrifice for better overall manners) Not a major mud toy. Just a good rough hunting vehicle that won't get me stuck also it has a mild stall. It's fine off the line but seems to big down from 1k-2.6k rpm. Also seems to generally lack acceleration. Does fine once at speed but kind of slow getting there.

Last edited:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gearing goes a long way. 285s and stock gears sucks

You could go back to stock size tires lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've run 285s with stock 3.73s, wasn't that bad IMO. Mine was driven by a Vortec 5.7 though, not a TBI.