TBI 454...Pedal floored, wont rev past about 2500? (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNDSND

Reaction score
I jinxed myself,

After a few trips the miss returned. I swapped the dizzy for a new Napa brand, no change. I checked the fuel pressure, it was fine. I pulled the TBI apart again thinking maybe something was up with the fuel regulator. It all looked good and I threw in all new seals and gaskets for good measure. Took it for a drive and the miss was still there, but couldn't feel it as much but the tach still jumped when it had the miss. I picked up an o2 sensor to just throw in for the heck of it. I went to unplug the sensor and noticed that the wire was right up against the tranny. Upon further inspection I could see that the wire had a little nick in it right where it was up against the tranny. I threw some electrical tape on it and off I went for another drive. Not a single problem or miss. I have driven it a bunch since then and it seems to have been the problem.

Just thought I would come back and post the actual fix.

BTW I will be installing the new o2 sensor when I can get it in the shop in the air, it's a 2wd and not much room to work underneath.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW…with the money you spent in parts and the hours in labor, you likely could have purchased a really nice graphing scan tool or data logger that would have identified your O2 sensor short in about 5 minutes.

PNDSND

Reaction score
Very true, the old dizzy was so corroded that it needed to be replaced anyway. So yes maybe a couple sensors were purchased but in the end I'm just happy that I finally figured it out.