TBI 454...Pedal floored, wont rev past about 2500? (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had..alot of problem with my K3500 Silverado, have yet to tag it..in 10 months of ownership, ive got 2-3 other trucks I can drive daily so its been a project...

First things first...its a 151K mile, K3500, with the TBI 454...

My problems at first were, it refused to idle down under 1100...I replaced...

TBI gaskets
regulator
TPS, IAC, MAP, CTS....and a new ECM, and EPROM with stock tune, except lower idle values, I set the timign to 4*...and set base idle as low as it would go...I also replaced most all the fuel lines, and PCV valve.

This got it lower...around 1000rpms in park when HOT....BUT...then I had a bad miss on at least 2 cylinders...pulling the plugs revealed 3 and 5 were white...very lean.

So I replaced the intake gaskets..half the bolts were backed out...Got that together, ALSO replaced 8 plugs, 8 wires, coil, module, cap, rotor button, rebuilt TBI unit, resealed TBI base, removed the high idle dashpot...and replaced the remainder of the vac lines...

Idle is smooth...725 in gear, 825 in park....

SO..I drove it a little bit..to feel it out, mainly doing idling, crusing, kicking it down a gear on hills...it felt fine. This afternoon I was warming it up in the driveway, and it felt good...I decided to punch it wide open one time..and it stumbled...so I did it again, and I found that when floored....matted..it wont rev up past about 2500. If I go to like 3/4 throttle...or where you can feel its right before "forced kickdown"...it revs to 4500 with no problems. If I floor it..it stumbles....and goes to about 2500....and will sit there and BUCK...in park.

When I does this, (was getting dark) I cn smell a strong strong fuel odor....I cant tell if its something like...TPS is bad and cutting out fuel at WOT...or dumping fuel at WOT...or the spark is getting cut???

I will do some testing tomorrow if its not storming....but this is so strange....

Does it cold..hot, warm...driving, parked....if you take the pedal to WOT...its not going to rev up. Also, sometiems if I let it do it, and lift off to idle...is will idle fine..other times it will just shut off...

http://s97.photobucket.com/user/RED-85-Z51/media/CAM00245_zpsc4b2febc.mp4.html

It actually sounds really good..the exhaust is a 3" single in catless Y pipe int oa single in Dual out flowmaster 40, and out the back in duals....the video makes it sound like all the valves are about to fly out the hood..haha.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If two plugs are lean, I would probably pull a compression test to see where you are at, wondering if you have a mechanical issue like a broken rocker arm / pulled stud or two?

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had both covers off, inspected springs, rockers, bolts, and had the intake off..checked all the rods...all felt fine. compression test was good on all 8, less than 5% spread hi to low.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had both covers off, inspected springs, rockers, bolts, and had the intake off..checked all the rods...all felt fine. compression test was good on all 8, less than 5% spread hi to low. Ive got a brand new one to put on but I cant reach the dang connector..it up in the freakin tunnel.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Test your tps to make sure it has no dead spots... I have had new ones be bad right outta the box...

Sent from what use to be a great country.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the 02 sensor in this morning...dang connector was right up on top of the trans housing...stupid design.

No change i could feel, I also fixed a stripped battery terminal, no change.

TPS tested good but i have a brand new AC Delco one that is on its way, and a new delco CTS. The new Delco IAC went on today and it definitely performs smoother than the cheap one I had on it.

blueridgerobbie

RiverMonster
Reaction score
My 94 K2500 454tbi does the exact same thing. If I mat it, it will just bounce on about 2500. Kinda like it has a high rev limiter. I have noticed that new Throttle Position Sensors come two ways, with and without speed governor. I wonder if that is what is the problem?

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, it just fixed itself pretty much. I parked it for like 2 months...One day I went out to check it out..it started right up, idled down, i took it out on the road and made a WOT pull through 2nd gear and it was smooth as silk.

Im actually, right now, in the process of installing a Ranch Hand LEgend series front and rear bumper and headache rack on it..