Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Obviously, I'm a fan. Looking forward to what you do with it.

Wonder how crazy the grille guards would look, without the horizontal bars, and just the uprights.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did..

Wrapped up the end of my work week, 12+ hr night shift, arranged the night before to go meet the guy. Friend Nigel offered to run me out there in his wife's Camry, pulled up at my house literally as I'm getting out of my truck from work, I go inside tell my wife I'm headed out of town to buy a truck, see ya in a few hours. :Big Laugh:

3+ hr trip to get there and discover as usual the truck is way crustier than the ad or conversation with the seller would have one believe. Still, it seems pretty solid so I negotiated with the guy a bit and we reached a deal. OK. Engine running terribly but no scary noises. Needs full tune-up, CTS, thermostat, etc. Tires are so cracked you can see the air through them. Shocks went off-duty years ago. What's left of the dash looks like a dry lake bed - it's BAD.

#1 thing got to go GRILL GUARD omg this thing is awful
You must be registered for see images attach

#2 thing got to go these taillights and this janky bumper. That's my buddy Nigel that ran me out there to get it.

Trying desperately to stay awake for the 3+ hr drive home. I think I did but I'm not sure. Drove averaging 65mph the whole way and didn't stop once til I was home, didn't wanna give up any momentum. Entertained myself watching how many times the CEL would cycle on and off, and worrying with each dip or bad bump the ancient tires would give up.

"Some things work, some things don't" - the freaking cruise worked, blew my mind. Temp gauge doesn't. Fuel guage mind of its own. A/C controls work but freon charge is out and recirculate actuator complaining. 160K miles but the tires are too tall it's about 1/10th of a mile slow :( (will mod the DRAC as soon as I pick a tire size.)

Tell me I won't. :Big Laugh:

Richard
Congrats! It looks like a great basis for a build. Can’t wait to see more.:D

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back to the owners club! Glad my order pressure worked....

I drove from San Francisco to LA last night after getting off a plane that was diverted and 4 hours behind, like you, one straight shot so as not to lose momentum. Didn't eat until I got here. 22 hour day.

So, what are the plans besides taillight and bumper?
I actually like the grille guard, especially if you're gonna lower it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I just did..

Wrapped up the end of my work week, 12+ hr night shift, arranged the night before to go meet the guy. Friend Nigel offered to run me out there in his wife's Camry, pulled up at my house literally as I'm getting out of my truck from work, I go inside tell my wife I'm headed out of town to buy a truck, see ya in a few hours. :Big Laugh:

3+ hr trip to get there and discover as usual the truck is way crustier than the ad or conversation with the seller would have one believe. Still, it seems pretty solid so I negotiated with the guy a bit and we reached a deal. OK. Engine running terribly but no scary noises. Needs full tune-up, CTS, thermostat, etc. Tires are so cracked you can see the air through them. Shocks went off-duty years ago. What's left of the dash looks like a dry lake bed - it's BAD.

#1 thing got to go GRILL GUARD omg this thing is awful

#2 thing got to go these taillights and this janky bumper. That's my buddy Nigel that ran me out there to get it.

Trying desperately to stay awake for the 3+ hr drive home. I think I did but I'm not sure. Drove averaging 65mph the whole way and didn't stop once til I was home, didn't wanna give up any momentum. Entertained myself watching how many times the CEL would cycle on and off, and worrying with each dip or bad bump the ancient tires would give up.

"Some things work, some things don't" - the freaking cruise worked, blew my mind. Temp gauge doesn't. Fuel guage mind of its own. A/C controls work but freon charge is out and recirculate actuator complaining. 160K miles but the tires are too tall it's about 1/10th of a mile slow :( (will mod the DRAC as soon as I pick a tire size.)

Tell me I won't. :Big Laugh:

Richard
The company that made and sold those grille/brush guards must've made a bunch of them; most seem to be that style with the 5 horizontal bars in the middle. Most of em seem to have been tweaked a bit, twisting the bumper and bending the bracket on whichever side got hit. The chrome on Rawhide's is still pretty good, but the one I got at the yard last fall, those horizontal bars are peeling badly. I was going to wire brush them and paint them, but I might just try to resell it. I like this type because no extra holes are needed to install it, so no filling required if you pull it. It makes the truck look more intimidating too; I think that's kept some people from pulling out in front of us!
Congrats on being back in a 400!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome back to the owners club! Glad my order pressure worked....

I drove from San Francisco to LA last night after getting off a plane that was diverted and 4 hours behind, like you, one straight shot so as not to lose momentum. Didn't eat until I got here. 22 hour day.

So, what are the plans besides taillight and bumper?
I actually like the grille guard, especially if you're gonna lower it.
Hah! No pressure needed; I'm stupid. Gotta tell you my work is often very physically demanding and by end of shift I'm absolutely beat, but I'm still like a little kid on Christmas as we're heading out to get this truck and I simply can't nap on the way like I planned. By the time we got back, grabbed some dinner, messed with the truck a bit, then friend went home, it was about 31~32 hrs.

Plans.. get it running right and reasonably reliable, new tires (would really love some direct-bolt 20's also but I can't tell if they're still available), remove janky homemade "wrecker" unit (aka scrap metal) from the bed, fix the A/C, replace the dash (used or repro), needs a headliner (even the board is missing) and visors, repair some cracks in the dually fenders, 6/8 static drop, replace rear bumper or maybe do a roll pan w/roll pan hitch if there's one that fits a 3500 frame, re-do the exhaust from those shotgun tips to probably a dump ahead of the axle, and just roll it as a beater. I'm tired of constantly being worried about something happening to the SS since it's all slicked out. Need a "regular" truck to roll around in!

Looks like a nice start to something good! It just so happens that I have a 2wd 4L80E, brake pedal, tilt column...
Shame on you putting salt on my 3rd pedal. :( Actually, the typical NV4500 1-2 "scratch" as I've seen some people call it, is there. It was part of my negotiating on the price because I know it means I'll be pulling that trans for a rebuild sooner than later.

The company that made and sold those grille/brush guards must've made a bunch of them; most seem to be that style with the 5 horizontal bars in the middle. Most of em seem to have been tweaked a bit, twisting the bumper and bending the bracket on whichever side got hit. The chrome on Rawhide's is still pretty good, but the one I got at the yard last fall, those horizontal bars are peeling badly. I was going to wire brush them and paint them, but I might just try to resell it. I like this type because no extra holes are needed to install it, so no filling required if you pull it. It makes the truck look more intimidating too; I think that's kept some people from pulling out in front of us!
Congrats on being back in a 400!
This one doesn't appear to be tweaked that I can tell but I'm not looking too closely because my plan is to remove it regardless. The only damage I noticed right off is the rubber strip on the driver side is missing, but the brackets for it are still there. If you like this style of guard you are 100% welcome to it for free as otherwise it'll get sat out by the trash can for the scrap dude that comes by. Just let me know and I'll hang onto it for you.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hah! No pressure needed; I'm stupid. Gotta tell you my work is often very physically demanding and by end of shift I'm absolutely beat, but I'm still like a little kid on Christmas as we're heading out to get this truck and I simply can't nap on the way like I planned. By the time we got back, grabbed some dinner, messed with the truck a bit, then friend went home, it was about 31~32 hrs.

Plans.. get it running right and reasonably reliable, new tires (would really love some direct-bolt 20's also but I can't tell if they're still available), remove janky homemade "wrecker" unit (aka scrap metal) from the bed, fix the A/C, replace the dash (used or repro), needs a headliner (even the board is missing) and visors, repair some cracks in the dually fenders, 6/8 static drop, replace rear bumper or maybe do a roll pan w/roll pan hitch if there's one that fits a 3500 frame, re-do the exhaust from those shotgun tips to probably a dump ahead of the axle, and just roll it as a beater. I'm tired of constantly being worried about something happening to the SS since it's all slicked out. Need a "regular" truck to roll around in!

Shame on you putting salt on my 3rd pedal. :( Actually, the typical NV4500 1-2 "scratch" as I've seen some people call it, is there. It was part of my negotiating on the price because I know it means I'll be pulling that trans for a rebuild sooner than later.

This one doesn't appear to be tweaked that I can tell but I'm not looking too closely because my plan is to remove it regardless. The only damage I noticed right off is the rubber strip on the driver side is missing, but the brackets for it are still there. If you like this style of guard you are 100% welcome to it for free as otherwise it'll get sat out by the trash can for the scrap dude that comes by. Just let me know and I'll hang onto it for you.

Richard
Yes I'm interested in the brush guard! You're in the Cypress/Katy area right?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I'm interested in the brush guard! You're in the Cypress/Katy area right?
Yep. I always include the Katy part because when you tell people Cypress they think farther North. Give me a day or two to get it off the truck because 100% I'm not using it and don't want to mess with trying to re-sell it, so if you want to mess with it, it's yours.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ya know.. the driver door handle is broken, as is common, and the smooth 88-93 handles aren't available anymore.

But..

I've got a set of well-worn but still good 3500HD/Topkick/Kodiak handles sitting on the shelf. No rods, but the handles are there, so.............I think I'm gonna have to make it happen. :)

Richard