Tailgate Running Lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CATman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the marker lights on my 95 gmc dually. I kind of like them, looks good at night.
I was told dot requires red lights or red white reflective tape to be on the rear and orange for front and side.
South Carolina isn't strict about trailer lights working. Hate riding behind someone with a trailer and you can barely see the vehicles tail lights.
I don't want to take a chance and have someone rear end me if I am pulling a trailer.
Wanting to shave my rear handle also. Not sure if will look with the marker lights and no handle.
Might do the ID bar under the tailgate.
But it's funny how other states have different laws about trailers. SC doesn't require a trailer to be licensed. Maybe if it's a tractor trailer for semis.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Actually, according to SCDOT, if the dry weight of a trailer is over 2500lbs, it's supposed to be tagged. Now I've seen a bunch of trailers that I'm sure are over this weight without tags, including my sons enclosed for his drag car, so I don't think the police worry about it too much.

I have 4 trailers, 12ft enclosed, 8ft utility, 16ft open car trailer, and a 37ft travel trailer, and the latter is the only one with a tag, and required to do so.

On the tailgate light subject, I've thought about some small flush mount LEDs in the tailgate, simulating factory lights, but not sure it would be worth the trouble. My '96 doesn't have them.