Tail light brake light mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
you have to wire those to the 2 unused pins on the top bulb. It has to be a dual filament bulb. The factory did not use one of the filaments (the brighter one) and that is what you are wiring up with the brake lights.

It appears you wired to the filament that isn't as bright (the running light filament)

I did this mod. I didn't like that the wires were jammed in the sockets and added extra load on the factory wiring so I removed mine. Some day I will wire it up better.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
3057's are dual filament.
3357 bulbs have the same "low" filament as the 3057 and 3157, but the "high" filament is 40 mcd (compared to the ~30 ish of the 3057 and 3157). I put 3357 bulbs (they have a grey base if I remember correctly) in place of the oem 3157 about 3 months ago and my bulbs are still working. I expect them to go out sometime this year, becuase they have a short 400 hour lifespan- which is the main disadvantage.

I took your advice bud....look what I got!
You must be registered for see images attach

and they were free with my autozone rewards

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I may give it another shot today......however I did attempt to filp flop the wires and and put the bulb in different ways, but everytime I got only the low filament lighting up.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did this mod the other day,,,, but it was a little easier to do because of the after market tail lights i have,,,

this is what the backs of mine look like,, so all i had to do was replacec the top plug with one with three wires and than tap into the stop light wire on the bottom plug,,, i think it took me about 15 mins to do both lights and have them back in the truck..

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Good luck! please take photos so you can help me out if yours works properly! Thanks and I cant wait to hear your results. Are you attempting the "easy method" or the solder iron method?

Will do. I'm gonna attempt the soldering iron method. But like I said we'll see how it goes lol.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By looking at your "completed" pic. You have the wires in the wrong spots. Blue is where you have them now and black is about where they should be.