Tail light brake light mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
So I was reading this thread http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...a-GMT400/page8&highlight=brake+tail+light+mod and on page 8 I read about the tail light mod.

I was wondering if someone could make a better write up because the photos arnt very clear. I really want to do this mod today but I need better photos to follow. And why would you need to make that hole bigger? what guage wire should I use? where do you connect the wires exactly?

thanks for any help, I am a visual learner so photos help me a lot thanks!

here is where I am at right now:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I thought about doing the same mod but then I heard that the circuit boards don't last very long after the mod. Plus, the running lights won't be any brighter after the mod. I needed brighter running lights with the bonus of brighter brake lights.
I ended up buying these and wiring the brake light circuit to the upper bulb socket. They come with traditional bulb sockets.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-98-Chevy...ubmodel:Silverado&hash=item4172a425df&vxp=mtr
Then I eventually bought these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-98-Chevy...ubmodel:Silverado&hash=item2c6e10ffad&vxp=mtr

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
oh dang it, I hope it doesn't burn up on me. Thanks for the response, I will keep that in mind. I still need to figure out how to connect the wires to the upper bulb

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
now I am here:

So can I dremel through the plastic down to the circuit board next to the upper light bulb and solder the wire there? or do I put the wires inside the connector?

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I would hook the circuit board up to the truck. The circuits are those gold/copper bands. Throw a couple of bulbs in, then either wedge a long window scrapper, or something like that, between the seat & the brake pedal to light up the brake light circuit, or, turn on the turn signal. Touching the wires that you have installed now to either/or of those circuits will tell you what is positive or negative.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I did a write up on it. Go on my profile, then threads started by me (on the left side, under the avatar) and look for "4-hi brake light mod". Takes like half an hour if you read carefully. Super easy. I've been running the same old-ass circuit boards with 4-hi for months now with no problems at all.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
thanks! I got it to work, but I am not sure it is working properly. so when I hit the brakes with the headlights off it makes my brake lights brighter. however, if I have the lights on, it looks as if I have the brakes on when I don't and when I hit the brakes it only gets a little big brighter because the dimmer element on the up bulb lights up. Is this right? I don't want it to make someone rear end me.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
You might have wired it wrong. I have a crappy drawn diagram in my write up, check if you wired them right. Otherwise check the ground to the taillights then the brake light fuse.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
it looks like this:
LIGHTS OFF + BRAKE ON =

LIGHTS + BRAKES ON =