Tail light brake light mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
By looking at your "completed" pic. You have the wires in the wrong spots. Blue is where you have them now and black is about where they should be.

You must be registered for see images attach

you can see the copper in the circuit board going to the blue arrows for the running lights, that's one way to tell they are in the wrong spot.

I couldn't keep mine working, the wires kept wigging loose enough in the socket to stop lighting up the bulb. The lights that tj98gmc has are better for wiring them up.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I started with a set of aftermarket tails like tj98gmc because I didn't want to deal with the sh*t factory setup.
I bought a set of these:

Then I bought a 3 wire socket for the top and wired them in.
I eventually went LED tails.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
you can see the copper in the circuit board going to the blue arrows for the running lights, that's one way to tell they are in the wrong spot.

I couldn't keep mine working, the wires kept wigging loose enough in the socket to stop lighting up the bulb. The lights that tj98gmc has are better for wiring them up.

ahh I did have them in the wrong spot. I couldn't even see any metal where the black arrows are pointing but I guess it must be there. now I got to go try this. Thanks very much for pointing that out to me!

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
There isn't any metal in those spots. The socket was never wired for the brighter filament. That's why it's a PITA jamming the wires in the sockets and hoping they work. It's not the best mod IMO.

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
There isn't any metal in those spots. The socket was never wired for the brighter filament. That's why it's a PITA jamming the wires in the stocks and hoping they work. It's not the best mod IMO.

yeah I think its a retarded mod also.....I might just go add this to the worst mod's thread.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I started with a set of aftermarket tails like tj98gmc because I didn't want to deal with the sh*t factory setup.
I bought a set of these:

Then I bought a 3 wire socket for the top and wired them in.
I eventually went LED tails.

I am going to do this when I eventually get new taillights.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Well I got mine to work......sorta. On my first attempt I had the same problem. Lower bulb would light up normal, upper just barely. Went back, enlarged the contact point on the board, and re-soldered it. Then it worked great, both bulbs lit up like they should, nice and bright, then the board starting smoking and the fuse blew. I'm guessing I crossed something somewhere. Will have to look at it 2morrow when I have some daylight.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Well I got mine to work......sorta. On my first attempt I had the same problem. Lower bulb would light up normal, upper just barely. Went back, enlarged the contact point on the board, and re-soldered it. Then it worked great, both bulbs lit up like they should, nice and bright, then the board starting smoking and the fuse blew. I'm guessing I crossed something somewhere. Will have to look at it 2morrow when I have some daylight.

Lol sorry that happened to you. I quit messin with mine the other night.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd just recommend everyone to stop messing with wiring and incandescent bulbs, and go LED. It's a lot safer, looks better, and easier to deal with.