Synthetic oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Well FWIW, if you have a pre-95 engine that's running around with a flat tappet cam it would behoove you to run a CJ-4 spec oil. Newer oils have very low levels of a specific friction modifying compound to protect 3-way catalytic converters, and the end result is a large increase in the number of problems coming from flat tappet cams. You have two choices, you can throw in a zinc additive with every oil change and hope the mix is good, or just use an off the shelf HDEO (think Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, etc) that has all the proper additives for keeping things prim and proper. I've been running Motorcraft 15w40 (not that my involvement with ConocoPhillips has anything to do with that....) for years and changing it at 7K miles or so and no issues with starting when it's cold as space outside. Even though it's sold as "Diesel" oil it's spec'd for gasoline engines as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
When I had my tranny rebuilt, I used DexVI Valvoline, its full synthetic and like 5 bucks a quart, but it was worth it to me to get 12 quarts of good name brand oil to fill my 900 dollar spend.

Motorhead

Reaction score
I like synthetic oil ovr conventional but it does cause the seals to leak in older engine/transmissions and they always suck to change out.

Reaction score
all i use is synthetic oil (mobil 1) and the latest gm transmission fluid which is dextron VI (backwards compatable to anyhting that used dex II or dex III and fully synthetic according to all the service bulletins gm released in 2005), have a 97 suburban with 255,000 miles original engine and transmission and a 94 full size blazer with 210,000 miles, original engine and trans!

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my GMC, I have B&M fluid in the transmission. Can't beat $2.50 a quart very easily. After I change the converter and get a shift kit I'm probably gonna use Royal Purple. I already use their engine oil in it. I use Redline gear oil in the rearend, it's synthetic.
My CJ8 has a T4 transmission, uses auto fluid. I just use regular valvoline in it. Same goes for the axles. They'll just get diluted with water anyways. I do Royal Purple engine oil in it though.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my 89 c1500 I had to have the tranny rebuilt around August an had it built up to handle 500-600hp an I went ahead an put in AmsOil in my transmission. Drives great shifts good and hard with the shift kit. Gonna change the fluid in a few months an see how it is an also put a deep pan in with a drain hole an temp reader in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Me again guys hey guys finally my 4L60e Trans messed up so about 2K or so miles ago I had it rebuilt now my TC is shuttering bad I tried Dr. Tranney even a GM limited slip additive and it's a no go so im going to just replace the T.C.

Now my question is I tried putting on a deep Trans pan but the filter would hit the pan like if I needed a diffferent filter can anyone help me hear on what filter to use or what filter would work on the deep pan??
Thanks! Roland

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Me again guys hey guys finally my 4L60e Trans messed up so about 2K or so miles ago I had it rebuilt now my TC is shuttering bad I tried Dr. Tranney even a GM limited slip additive and it's a no go so im going to just replace the T.C.

You put a limited slip additive in your transmission?

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well FWIW, if you have a pre-95 engine that's running around with a flat tappet cam it would behoove you to run a CJ-4 spec oil. Newer oils have very low levels of a specific friction modifying compound to protect 3-way catalytic converters, and the end result is a large increase in the number of problems coming from flat tappet cams. You have two choices, you can throw in a zinc additive with every oil change and hope the mix is good, or just use an off the shelf HDEO (think Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, etc) that has all the proper additives for keeping things prim and proper. I've been running Motorcraft 15w40 (not that my involvement with ConocoPhillips has anything to do with that....) for years and changing it at 7K miles or so and no issues with starting when it's cold as space outside. Even though it's sold as "Diesel" oil it's spec'd for gasoline engines as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

I run a full synthetic Mobil Delvac1 0W-40 in my '94 for this reason. 0W-40 because its a regular for it to be -25 celsius and lower where I live, and this stuff makes the truck a lot happier when it has to start after sitting for a long night in the cold.

http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-...ucts_engine-oils_mobil-delvac-1-esp-0w40.aspx