Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand the disdain for amsoil or extended drain intervals around here.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because most of us grew up with "3000 miles" and its hard to change that. Add that to the cost of Amsoil and their claim of 25,000 mile oil changes and there ya go.

Doesn't help that you cant buy it in a store.... Anywhere.
At least not anywhere that I've seen.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Byproducts of combistion include carbon, unburned fuel and over time acids also form in the crankcase. Small particles of iron, aluminum, and other metal particles also build up in the oil. If used oil analysis shows extended drain works for you then great.

I would not recommend the average joe to drive a year plus without changing their oil. Your mileage may vary.

Newer injection systems with higher pressures and faster processors along with improved materials sciences and tighter clearances mean todau's engines can go further than ever on an oil change interval.

A person like me starting 3 months out of the year in minus 30 and short trips mean I will have to change oil sooner than say someone in Florida with a 45 mile daily commute.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Apples and oranges but I run Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic in the wife's Dodge Journey. Book says every 10'000 km but I use synthetic, a fram filter and stretch it 20'000 kms. It doesn't look like brand new when it comes out so I won't exaggerate but it isn't darker then death either.

I regularly tore 350 Chevy motors down and knew who was running what and how they drove.

Castrol, fram filter and every 3000 miles/5000 kms was the best looking results.

Diesel motors you do on the button or earlier, don't mess around.

And if memory serves I believe there are only four oil filter manufactures for automotive, Wix, Fram, Amsoil, and one other. Not sure if Royal Purple buys there's from the others or makes their own.

Most everybody makes good products, it just comes down to brand loyalty.

Sent from my HTC 8X using Tapatalk

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What brand filter do you run?

Amsoil filter, probably the only filter I would run that long (or equivalents like the royal purple or mobil 1 /k&n filter). The winter beater gets mobil 1 from walmart and a wix filter.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I just can't buy the whole 25,000 miles thing.. I wouldn't personally take the risk of doing that. Oil's oil to me and I don't like to believe that any brand can last way longer....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Apples and oranges but I run Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic in the wife's Dodge Journey. Book says every 10'000 km but I use synthetic, a fram filter and stretch it 20'000 kms. It doesn't look like brand new when it comes out so I won't exaggerate but it isn't darker then death either.

I regularly tore 350 Chevy motors down and knew who was running what and how they drove.

Castrol, fram filter and every 3000 miles/5000 kms was the best looking results.

Diesel motors you do on the button or earlier, don't mess around.

And if memory serves I believe there are only four oil filter manufactures for automotive, Wix, Fram, Amsoil, and one other. Not sure if Royal Purple buys there's from the others or makes their own.

Most everybody makes good products, it just comes down to brand loyalty.

Sent from my HTC 8X using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, The Fram of today is not the Fram of yesteryear.

Fram has succumbed to the bottom line profit margin and overseas manufacture. Cheap bypass springs and valves, cardboard end caps, less filter media, etc.

I stopped using Fram a long time ago. All my vehicles get the Mobil 1 "performance" filter since I've cut a few of those open and have verified the construction. They are also relatively easy to find (CTC sells them), although they do cost more than your average filter.

Purolator is also an OE manufacturer that other brands resell under their own name. I used to use Purolator also, until they went down the same road as Fram.....

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a Purolator Pure One filter our a NAPA Gold (wix) filter. I've had the best luck with them as far as visual oil cleanliness during a change. We even use the Purolator Pure Ones on our big farm tractors and equipment.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use Castrol Syntec in mine. our local Costco will do a full synthetic oil change with a quality filter and lube for $49.00. Pretty hard to beat. I do mine in the spring and fall even though I don't put very many miles on it. Maybe 4,000 kilometers, if that between changes.

You must be registered for see images attach