Sway bar link angle and popping noises..etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my opinion, the issue is at the steering gear box. I chased a higher speed wobble for a while once on a suburban. Once discovered, it boggled my mind that the gear box attachment to the frame (rust) was the source because it never transferred to the steering wheel end of the equation. It only happened at higher speeds, it was solid when monkeying around on the ground trying to find it. It was a memorable issue... I've mentioned it a few times in past threads.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my opinion, the issue is at the steering gear box. I chased a higher speed wobble for a while once on a suburban. Once discovered, it boggled my mind that the gear box attachment to the frame (rust) was the source because it never transferred to the steering wheel end of the equation. It only happened at higher speeds, it was solid when monkeying around on the ground trying to find it. It was a memorable issue... I've mentioned it a few times in past threads.
damn...I'll check..felt tight yesterday but I didn't put a torque wrench on it.....
I just cranked down both sets of lbj nuts too...Not sure I trust my wrench at 45lbs or even trust 45 lbs is good enough....kinda violent process getting the original rivets out...can't imagine a little extra going to hurt..... Threw a nos NAPA bearing on passenger side too... I know it's not going to help the shaking but I swear I'm hearing some growling.... Actually suspect the driver's side more but I'm at passenger side now....these have timkin bearings....Detroit axle ones are unmarked...

Also cleaning up the mating surfaces on the rotor,hub and wheel.... looking pretty crusty....whatever....

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn...I'll check..felt tight yesterday but I didn't put a torque wrench on it.....
I just cranked down both sets of lbj nuts too...Not sure I trust my wrench at 45lbs or even trust 45 lbs is good enough....kinda violent process getting the original rivets out...can't imagine a little extra going to hurt..... Threw a nos NAPA bearing on passenger side too... I know it's not going to help the shaking but I swear I'm hearing some growling.... Actually suspect the driver's side more but I'm at passenger side now....these have timkin bearings....Detroit axle ones are unmarked...

Also cleaning up the mating surfaces on the rotor,hub and wheel.... looking pretty crusty....whatever....
I'm not saying that the problem is the attachment, just that a gear box issue doesn't necessarily transfer to the steering wheel.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
went on another test drive.... Apart from realizing how crappy the roads are, even new resurfaced ones, I'm not making any progress..... still shaking... want to say it feels different every time I goof with something... just the personality is different....but same issue if that makes sense....

goofy tire/s or something??... you'd think the tire place would point that out but maybe not...

steering box was torqued tight to frame....I set wrench to around 107lbs and it clicked
It'll get figured out eventually....

suspicious that this was discovered after doing my rear brakes....but I did grease up front caliper pins and stuff...idk...

that one clunk on passenger side when I shook 12&6 is suspicious....just not sure how to find it.....

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
another test drive after replacing driver's side bearing...
Same deal...
Idk...
pretty convinced the shaking stays when I put it in neutral.... whatever that means....
Power steering pulley pretty wobbly...
Guess I'll get a transmission mount..
At least I don't have any popping when taking sharp turns afaik...

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Obviously getting desperate....

Looking at the passenger front tire, I can see unevenness when I spin it --looking straight across the tread using a level area to focus on if that makes sense. There's one spot that goes blup blup on the tread...But I can't find it...Can totally see it though... Driver's side is perfect...

One thing that caught my attention was the number of weights. There are 26 1/4oz weights in one section and another 5 1/4oz weights several inches from them...Seems like a lot....

Was wondering how they rotate tires...

almost 2 years ago when I did my front suspension, I took my truck to get the tires rotated and balanced before I took it to the alignment shop the next day.
I remember calling the tire shop back and asking if they balanced the tires when they rotated them and they said yes. I was asking because I noticed more vibration than I was used to. I remember thinking I hadn't gotten it aligned yet so let it go.
I actually don't remember beyond this. But do recall things getting a bit shaky over 80mph when it didn't used to do this even with my front end suspension being really whacked before replacing it. I can't believe I'm remembering this now. But I just got used to keeping it at or below 80mph....

I'm attaching what weights are on my wheels right now. The front passenger tire seems to have a lot compared to the others but I'm not familiar with the different weights. The stick on kind is easy enough because it says 1/4oz right on it.....

just curious if something has been going on there too as well and whatever was questionable in the rear from the beginning when I purchased the tires has made it's way up front the last 2 rotations???
I'll look into how it works even though there's no guarantee that's how it was done I guess....

1 question----how easy should the front tire spin when Jacked up? On the passenger side front, I can give it a good spin and it will go round and round a ton...at least 10 times...maybe 15

the driver's side front will only go around a couple of times.....

edit/// looking at how tires are supposed to be rotated , my theory doesn't make sense....

Attachments

• tires aint purdy.jpg
    tires aint purdy.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn’t there a local shop that you can trust? I deal with a shop that’s always honest with me and I do most of the repairs after they troubleshoot the issues for me.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn’t there a local shop that you can trust? I deal with a shop that’s always honest with me and I do most of the repairs after they troubleshoot the issues for me.
I don't know of anyone . I used a mobile mechanic that I took a chance on when I wanted to pull my transmission to do some stuff and he was really good. But we actually spent a little time on forums when things went sideways so I'm just getting that part out of the way first I guess. Hopefully I won't need to bother him.

Not had good experiences with shops unfortunately. . But I'm open to hear of any recommendations in Central FL.