Successfully fixed my receiver box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dewster

Reaction score
For those who would love to keep the original radio and cassette player in their 88-94 trucks, but don't want to pay a lump sum to get the receiver box fixed, I've fixed mine with some new capacitors and some soldering skills.

The problem with these receiver boxes is over time, the capacitors in them go bad. In most cases, the top of the capacitor (which looks like a metal canister) will bulge updard.
You must be registered for see images attach

In two of the three boxes I fixed, the two capacitors circled in blue are the ones I noticed were bulging.
You must be registered for see images attach

In the third box, no capacitors were bulging, yet the box didn't work properly. This can be deceiving, but there are some cases in which capacitors do go bad, but don't show any visual signs of a problem.
Just to be on the safe side, I'd recommend replacing all of the capacitors on the board.
(There are many guides on the 'net about replacing capacitors, I won't go into deep detail here.)

There are also some cases in which the box is beyond trying to repair. That is, the dreaded WATER DAMAGE! The box pictured above did have some water damage to it (circled in red). The circuit traces (line-looking things) on the board were literally "eaten" away by the water over time. Replacing the capacitors won't cure this problem. In this case, I'd suggest finding another receiver box that doesn't have water damage to it.

After replacing all the capacitors, you should have a fully working receiver box. Enjoy those cassettes!:biggrin:

(I have not yet found which caps are bad on the early receiver boxes with two boards inside. That's for another day.)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yup, Thats a thing many don't realize about "solid state" stuff: age eventually gets 'em.

Caps seem to be especially vulnerable.

I've replaced them on everything from computer boards to shortwave receivers.

Good find on the old gmt400 radios though. Always feels good when you get an old set running again. I hate sending stuff to the dump thats a 50 cent fix if you can figure it out.

I've also repaired circuit traces, but that's only worthwhile on "one of a kind" or very rare items....

Dewster

Reaction score
At least it wasn't fault of the early 2000s capacitor plague. I've fixed *many* PCs that were affected by that, and some of those caps actually burst the electrolytic juice onto the side panel of the PC.

These caps in the receiver boxes are just a problem of old age, thank goodness.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
At least it wasn't fault of the early 2000s capacitor plague. I've fixed *many* PCs that were affected by that, and some of those caps actually burst the electrolytic juice onto the side panel of the PC.

These caps in the receiver boxes are just a problem of old age, thank goodness.

Ah yes, I remember that. Lots of dell's with popped caps iirc....

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very good write up here! The original receiver box in my 89 went out an I ended up taking the one from my uncle's 93 gmc. Prolly should break out my soldering iron an do some work to it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk